AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at my wits end trying to get an output on the S-Video output.

Here is what I have tried:

1. Holding down INFO and GUIDE at the same time.

2. Holding down SELECT until the message light comes on

3. Selecting 480i only as output.

Nothing works! The only time I see an output on the S-Video is if I un-plug the box and re-power it, for a few seconds I see a color image. My Hughes 86 was so simple to toggle from HD to SD.

Can anyone help?

PS: The unit is a SA 8000HD with HAL2 firmware..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I do believe that on the cable box you have to hold down Vol+ and Channel+ at the same time until SB flashes where the clock is. That will enable SB, as I had to use s-video too until my TV got here.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
'SD' and 'SVideo' are two different things. Setting 480i output enables 480i over component. But ... it doesn't enable SVideo.

Suggestions if you want SVideo output:

1. Switch to 'SD Mode'. See pg. 9 in the following:
http://www.scientificatlanta.com/Exp...ed/4003870.pdf

This will enable SVideo ... but it will disable component. You'll have to switch back to 'HD Mode' for component.

I believe the following also work (while in 'HD Mode') ... but it's been a while. Note that these can be usefull in some cases (recording a show to DVD) ... but not so much in others (like when you actually want to FF / RW / etc.):

2. Activate PIP. Content in the PIP window should be output via SVideo.

3. Use the 'Sent To VCR' functionality. Content being 'Sent To VCR' should be output via SVideo.

Probably the best option:

4. Upgrade to an 8300HD if you can. They've got 'always active' SVideo.

Note that the above comments are applicable to SARA. Not sure about Passport ...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The above manual is for a 8300HD and didn't work for my 8000HD. I can get the video for PIP to go to the S but no audio. It seems like Satan built this device.

Well, I have a call in to TWC but I'm thinking I may be SOL.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrobbins
The above manual is for a 8300HD and didn't work for my 8000HD. I can get the video for PIP to go to the S but no audio.
Are you running Passport or SARA?

Anyway, when using PIP or 'Copy To VCR', corresponding audio is sent on the 'Out 2 VCR' outputs ... the second row of composite V/R/L.

For all recent versions of SARA on the 8000HD the following should definately work to put you in 'SD Mode'

- Turn off box

- Guide + Info

- TV Connection Set-up appears (Press B to use HDTV Mode) ... don't hit anything

- wait

- wait

- wait

- It'll change to 'Press A to use SD Mode'

- Press A and continue

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, the above process for getting to the SD mode doesn't work for my unit. I have HAL2 firmware, do not know what passport and SARA are. I am able to get output from PIP and the second set of audio worked so I guest I'll copy that way.

I am definately going to swap this unit for a 8300HD. It really sucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.