AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a gamer and while I do watch allot of movies, most of the time I spend with my 503cmx is spent gaming. I have relatively high standards when it comes to image quality, and the picture I've been getting out of my Playstation 2 just isn't cutting it...

At first I had the PS2 connected to my plasma via an official Sony component cable. I've sense upgraded to a Monster Gamelink 400 component cable, and performed some pretty extensive tweaks to the 503cmx's settings. While the image is markedly better than it was when I started I'm still not happy with it.

I've yet to decide on weather I'll be going with an HTPC or a dedicated scaler, though I'll definitely be upgrading to one or the other. While I do own other consoles, the Playstation is my primary concern. I'd like to get the best possible image out of my PS2, and I'm hoping to keep my cost under $2,000. What are your recommendations?

Regardless of weather I go the HTPC or dedicated route, I've been considering importing an official Sony 21-pin RGB cable from Japan, and using that to connect the PS2 to my chosen scaling device via a Micomsoft XSelect-D4 . Another option would be importing a Japanese scaler that directly supports 21-pin RGB input. Supposedly the PS2 will provide superior image quality in RGB mode because the games were originally programmed in that format. Is their any truth to this claim?

I have no preference as far as choosing to go with an HTPC or dedicated scaler, whatever gets the job done best, within my budget.

Thanks guys!

-Jatku

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm no expert, but I don't believe the picture is going to get a whole lot better on the PS2 because of the hardware and software limitations of the ps2. When I purchased my hdtv, I tested several games with my ps2, xbox, and gamecube using vga and component cables. Progressive scan compatible games using component looked significantly better and one of the 720p xbox games looked really great. The improved picture(mostly clarity, and maybe a perceived color improvement) was most notable on the gamecube and xbox using component cables. I'm sure the scaler also has a big impact on the picture quality, but not as much as the hardware and software itself.

There are ps2 games that support 480p (most notably ssx3, the getaway, soul calibur 2, socom 1,2) that I did not try w/ component that I'm sure look pretty good.

·
Registered
401 Posts
If you still have the receipt and packaging, return that silly monster cable and put some money towards a used iScan Pro if your display will accept a VGA input, or another processor that will upscan 480i to 480p via component ouput.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jatku
Thanks for your thoughts guys...

Anyone have an opinion as far RGB vs component (YPrPb) video?
I drove both into my HS20 PJ, the component seams to have less noise etc. very minimal difference however. Both I have are excellent. Your best bet is minimizing the need for a transcoder , thus minimizing line noise, minor skew (esp. if you plan to use a convergent based display) and if you can afford it- get a line doubler and make it progressive. I play SOCOMI/II and both look great given they're natively 480P. FWIW, it does not match, even remotely. a PC type game output however.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.