AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far away from the computer box can the monitor be located?

I'm not sure which forum is the best place to ask. So I'm trying here and one other.

The computer is located in my "ham shack" about 35ft from the comfort of the couch.

No way do I want to move the box and all to the living room.

The reason I want to do this is because I want to watch movies on my monitor. My wife doesn't like sitting in a chair in here. The quality on the monitor is fine with her, so if I can locate the monitor in front of the couch I can make this work.

I tried the latest Nero Burning ROM software, and making VCD's to watch on the DVD player. But the quality isn't as good as watching an AVI file on the monitor.

Plus this way is allot less work for me!

I'm not real hardware savvy. Can anyone tell me if I can buy an "extension cord" (or 2) for my monitor, to go 35ft?

If not 35ft, then how far away can I go? There must be loss if I try to go too far, right?

What is the name of such a "monitor extension cord", so I don't buy the wrong thing. Duh

My computer is a Compaq Presario 5000US, and NEC MultiSync 1525v LCD monitor.

BTW, I looked into TV out cards, and VGA to TV scan converters.

But from what I hear the quality goes way down.

TV's don't have as many pixels (sp?) as even a poor monitor, so the picture will never be as good on a TV.

We are almost out of options I think!

Thank you

Jim

"100% Solar/Wind power since 1979" (TM)

·
Registered
674 Posts
you'd be better off running a Cat 5 line from your main computer to a dumbed down client that you use to just access the other machine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I apreciate the quick reply.. Can you translate this please? Whats the 5 line your refering to, and the dumb client? Thats me!?

I am barely aware of the existance of VGA extension cords. Not sure what these are really called.

These extension cords are male at one end and female at the other, and the only ones Ive seen are around 8ft long. Not seeing any longer than this, I find myself doubting the advisability of going further than 8ft.

Two 8ft cords would get the monitor to the kitchen table, which iant too bad, if the couch is unreachable.

So I was told to come here for help.

Now you are refering to another way I think. But its way over my head.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

·
Registered
435 Posts
You can get long VGA extension cables at www.bettercables.com. Click on the VGA/VGA Breakout link on the Better Cables site.

These can supposedly go up to 200ft. They are pretty pricey though but will get you exactly what you want. Check them out.

Cheers

Lester

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick reply.

Good directions you gave, I found the cable right away.

I hope there is a cheaper way to get as far as 35ft. At $79.95 for each meter it would cost a bit much.

Maybe so much I could buy a 2nd computer/monitor for the living room.

I'd go for that, but the wife might not understand.

Jim

·
Registered
674 Posts
sunwatt, the 2nd computer/monitor was what I was speaking about. That 2nd computer could communicate to your main machine which is 35 feet away over a network connection (you could also try using a wireless hub, but I stay away from such things when reliability is desired). Basically install something like pcanywhere or some other remote management software on your client machine to access the main machine. The client could be stripped down and inexpensive. Probably $200 for the computer, $50 for the monitor and about $20 in network cabling, RJ 45 connectors and a crimper.

course I already have about 10 computers in the house and all of the tools so may not be the easiest route for you to go.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sunwatt

I hope there is a cheaper way to get as far as 35ft. At $79.95 for each meter it would cost a bit much.

Jim
well, I haven't personally tried it to see if there are any degradation issues, but you can probably get three 10' VGA-extension cables at RadioShack (Compaq branded, I think they're no more than $30 each) and daisy-chain them together...

·
Registered
674 Posts
daisy chain them together? sunwatt would be better off praying to the gods to deliver an image before him of a higher quality....distance is your enemy and so are multiple connections....

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm not too sure about that. I think there's been a lot of undue hype around "preserving the quality" for what is, admittedly by sunwatt, a simple solution to getting a *digital* (digital = all or nothing, strength/quality of the signal vis a vis display quality is a non-issue presumably) signal moved 35ft.

At my workplace, we have an entire whole-building-distributed signal (VGA/XGA running from a server PC) going to several flat-panel monitors (cable runs are at least 100' each, unamplified, not running through any special processors) and the pq is just as good as the on-site (monitor sitting on top of the server) display...

and yes, I do have a fairly respectable HT and can make a reasonable assessment of pq... :D

·
Registered
674 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. In this case I think I will try the Radio Shack cables @ $30. each. But I will just buy 2 for now.

Two of these will get me from the ham shack to the kitchen table.

My wife said that even the kitchen table would beat sitting in here!

Way too many guy things in here for her.

If I get her out of the hamshack for watching movies, an to the kitchen table (her domain?) I will be a simi-hero in this house.

If I get good quality with two 10ft cables, I might later try a 3rd cable, and go for full hero status!

Again, thanks allot!

Jim

·
Registered
674 Posts
post back here and tell us if it works, i'm definitely curious

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Here's a very long thread about building your own cables:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=23850

...which I used to successfully build a cable about 42 feet long overall, which works just fine and cost me $25 to construct. If you have a ham shack you can probably solder - this is actually easier than putting BNC's on co-ax. You will need a very fine point soldering iron in the 15-watt range.

Gary

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's a very long thread about building your own cables:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...&threadid=23850

...which I used to successfully build a cable about 47 feet long overall, which works just fine and cost me $25 to construct. If you have a ham shack you can probably solder - this is actually easier than putting BNC's on co-ax. You will need a very fine point soldering iron in the 15-watt range.

Gary

--

Yes! I'm a solderin fool!

I following that URL now... (Hickup.. ok try again sorry if I post 2x)

Jim (KJ5TF)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I followed that link and did a little reading.

Where does one get shielded Cat 5 cables? Do I asume cat5 has 5 conductors, plus the shielding? And the M & F HD-15 connectors?

Radio Shack?

I admit I've never worked with it. But I can do BNC, and other solder connectors. Even built afew D9 serial cables (com1) a couple times.

So then, IF there are 15 connections, I'd need 3 lengths (35ft each) of shielded cat5.

Is it very expensive?

And HD-15 on each of the cut ends?

One end female and the other male.

Is this all correct? Did I miss anything?

Remember, I'm an amateur. So when you explain things to me, it must be in big dummy lingo.

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Cat5 shielded has 8 connectors, plus the ground sleeve for a total of 9.

HD15 (VGA) has 15 connectors, but not all are necessary for the display. In fact, if you look at many HD15 connectors on monitors, only ~9-12 of those have pins. I built a cable using the instructions above, and it worked fine for me. My cable was for ~25feet, and I had no ghosting problems at all..

I believe that if you pore through that thread, you'll find the correct pin assignments for building the cable.

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Today I ordered this cable from Radio Shack online store.

950-0084 50-Ft. Category 5 Molded Cable -Red

I didnt see any cat 5 that said shielded.

Does anyone know if this is or isnt shielded?

I asked the support folks at RS, but no reply sofar.

Also ordered the male and felame HD15 D connectors. I already have some D9 hoods around here somewhere.

I have the info on what goes to what pin so I'm good to go I think.

I'm sure I'll be nervious when I 1st try it. Even if I check my connections 5 times.

Thanks folks!

Jim

·
Registered
59 Posts
The unsheilded cat5 you bought is probably going to give you image quality problems. It won't hurt to hook it up though. Just don't let you wife see it untill you think it looks good. :)

Fry's Electroics is probably the easiest place to pick up a specialty item like sheilded cat5. Online is good too.

You realy should consider a video card with tvout if this is something you plan on doing a lot of. The quality is worse than your monitor but no worse than any other video source on your tv and better than many vcrs. An Ati 7500 AIW will get you the cool RF remote that might work the 35' back to the ham shack with a little "creative" antenna work.

Oh yea, be sure to turn off all your ham gear when you test this out as the cable is likely to pick up noise from it pretty bad.

oh yea 2, you will loose your PnP info when you do this so do not be supprised to see windows tell you it found a new monitor and doesn't know what it is. It's not a problem just follow the driver update wizard and if you get lost, tell windows it a generic 1024x768 and you should be good.

oh yea 3... I was going to give Shadowpuppet hell about crt's being analog when I noticed that you have an LCD. It is using a HD-15 connector and not DVI right ?? If it's DVI we'll have to look around some mroe to find the pinouts and check if 35' is allowed in the DVI spec.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We have a storm at the moment so I must be quick.

I searched for Fry's Electroics but no results, can you post or send me the URL?

[email protected]

When the unshilded cat 5 gets here I will use my multimeter to check the cable with the one that came with the computer.

The one that came with the Compaq Presario worked fine with the LCD monitor.

But I will check the hot pins and grounds.

thank you

Jim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.