AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far away from the computer box can the monitor be located?

I'm not sure which forum is the best place to ask. So I'm trying here and one other.

The computer is located in my "ham shack" about 35ft from the comfort of the couch.

No way do I want to move the box and all to the living room.

The reason I want to do this is because I want to watch movies on my monitor. My wife doesn't like sitting in a chair in here. The quality on the monitor is fine with her, so if I can locate the monitor in front of the couch I can make this work.

I tried the latest Nero Burning ROM software, and making VCD's to watch on the DVD player. But the quality isn't as good as watching an AVI file on the monitor.

Plus this way is allot less work for me!

I'm not real hardware savvy. Can anyone tell me if I can buy an "extension cord" (or 2) for my monitor, to go 35ft?

If not 35ft, then how far away can I go? There must be loss if I try to go too far, right?

What is the name of such a "monitor extension cord", so I don't buy the wrong thing. Duh

My computer is a Compaq Presario 5000US, and NEC MultiSync 1525v LCD monitor.

BTW, I looked into TV out cards, and VGA to TV scan converters.

But from what I hear the quality goes way down.

TV's don't have as many pixels (sp?) as even a poor monitor, so the picture will never be as good on a TV.

We are almost out of options I think!

Thank you

Jim

"100% Solar/Wind power since 1979" (TM)

·
Registered
15,087 Posts
Jim,

The best place for your question is probably the "Home Theater Computers" forum.

You need to get a single long cable, not use extension cables. The video signals reflect off the impedance mismatch where the cables plug into one another. This shows up as "ghosting." Vertical lines, for example, will have fainter echoes to their right on the screen.

For a long run like 35 ft. you either need a high quality VGA cable or two DB15 to BNC breakout cables and 5 high quelity, quad shielded RG-6 coaxial cables to run between the rooms.

These cables are available online or from better computer and A/V stores.

One online source is www.BetterCables.com, although they tend to be expensive.

I hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
For simplicity, I would suggest a long decent DB15 cable and a device like the extron PS2 which takes a VGA signal (in DB15 connections) and splits and amplifies it to two with one output being buffered for long runs. They go for about $50 on ebay - in fact there is one on ebay right now. We use these in the training rooms at work all the time and the runs are usually longer than 35 ft and quality of the picture seems very decent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. When you say long DB15 cable, how long and can you give me a source? The VGA extension at Radio Shack is 10ft. I dont know of any others.

Could I use a 10ft cable like that, go from the computer into the PS2, and come out of that with 2 more 10ft cables and be ok?

Or should the two 10ft cables come from the computer, then the PS2, then the single 10ft cable out of the PS2 to the monitor?

I'm still looking at all ideas. I've got 50ft of unshielded cat 5 on the way plus the HD-15 m/f connectors. I ordered the unshielded by mistake.

I found some 50ft shielded cat 5 online, but havnt ordered it yet.

So I'm listening with ears wide open.

Simplicity is good.

Thank you

Jim

For simplicity, I would suggest a long decent DB15 cable and a device like the extron PS2 which takes a VGA signal (in DB15 connections) and splits and amplifies it to two with one output being buffered for long runs. They go for about $50 on ebay - in fact there is one on ebay right now. We use these in the training rooms at work all the time and the runs are usually longer than 35 ft and quality of the picture seems very decent.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Jim,

The Extron P/2 has a fixed cable that is about 6 ft that attaches to your video card / output. It has two female DB15 connections for its output one says local monitor and the other says remote display? Anyways - not much choice here. Plug the P/2 into your PC and get one real long cable DB15 cable. I would not use extensions as each time a connection is made you will probably lose a bit of signal. As I mentioned previously, the runs we used are probably at least 50 ft. My local computer store sells long DB15 VGA cables and I'm sure you can get these online especially since you live in the USA. Look at the URL that Sheldon provided less the "." at the end they sell VGA cables some up to 200 ft!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.