AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, my sony 50" grand wega is connected with HDMI, HD direct tv, tivo box, monster power - power center. do you guys run it right out of the box or do you adjust thing inside the tv? what mode?( vivid, standard, pro),brightness? etc. how can i optimise my picture to the best possible, thank-you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Vivid/standard/pro are just factory presets with different settings. You could go into each preset and do the same settings to make all 3 look identical. Just pick a preset and adjust it with a calibration dvd like avia or video essentials or you could just adjust it to whatever looks best. I set mine to 46 picture and 31 for brightness/color/sharpness, this looks the best on my set for SD and HD programming. Remember to do this for each video input as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for a start in the right direction. i was watching the nascar race this weekend, and it really looked like crap on the tv, it was really "grainy" and not as crisp as i'd like it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Out of the box the picture was pretty awful. You do want a calibration DVD (I used VE). Keep in mind though that some of the controls to fix the picture are hidden in the service menu. For instance you can't fix the red push through the normal menus. It's not difficult to do, but the potential is there to screw things up pretty bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is there anything i can do to improve my local channels? i don't have separate ant. for my locals, and they look like crap thru the dish.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Actually, you might...

Have you tried the RF remote antenna? It sounds silly, but since I have a universal remote I wasn't going to be using the RF remote. I tried it, and was surprised to find out that I could get all of the local stations.

I wouldn't say that my locals look like crap. They are in SD and I'm finding it harder and harder to watch SD channels. Depending on your local station it may or may not look better upconverted at the station.

Oh, have you tried using component cables yet? I know the H10 is still working out some bugs on the HDMI port. It wouldn't surprise me if others might too.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
The Avia disc is a great base to work from. Do you have the HD Tivo? If you do, you want to record the HDNet test pattern to help set contrast. It's on every Tuesday at 8:00AM-8:10AM EST.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.