AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have just got a new surround sound set-up made of http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=10565&seq=1&format=2 and http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-SR313&class=Receiver . Now I am trying to make sure I am getting the most out of them.

Their main use will be for movies, but I will also listen to music. The first question I have is about my xbox one and what audio setting I should have it set at, from what I have read 5.1 uncompressed is the best, but the options have confused me a little. Using it as a blu-ray player i should be able to use a lossless 5.1 audio format? Before I had the xbox one i had a http://www.lg.com/us/blu-ray-players/lg-BP220-blu-ray-dvd-player/technical-specifications that I figured I would move upstairs. I should receive the same quality out of both, right?

I would also be using netflix to play movies and I would also like to know the best setting on my xbox to get the best sound.

For my att uverse set-top box has a surround sound option, but was wondering if anyone knew what quality or format it puts out, just curious?

·
UHD Addict
38,977 Posts
5.1 pcm output is the option to use to get the best quality sound. The XBOne decodes all incomiing audio. Whether a newer HD Codec which you find on Blu-ray Discs or legacy codecs like DD and DTS on DVDs and broadcast shows. It decodes everything first, mixes in it's own sounds, and then either outputs it in multi-channel pcm or encodes it to legacy DD or DTS.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the multi channel PCM sound can cover a wide range depending on what function your using? Like from the Bly Ray you can get lossless quality and say from something else you get the equivalent of a compressed form.

Does the Xbox mixing it own sounds hurt anything or is that normal?

·
UHD Addict
38,977 Posts
It's normal for the XBOne. And it shouldn't hurt anything if done properly. You really don't have a choice though.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
That's a pretty good budget system. I helped my brother-in-law put a system together, and we went with those speakers (which are the same as the Energy Take Classic) and the Onkyo 414 receiver. Pretty good sound for the money.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've had the same question and I was curious if that changed since they added Dolby Digital support. My question is, does it matter how you have the xbox hooked up? I'm using an HDMI but I have everything going through my receiver. All inputs, including the Xbox, go in to the receiver and then the output from the receiver to the tv. I've been thinking about messing around with everything going through the Xbox so I can have it start up my tv and satellite box as well, but haven't done so yet. But since the update I've tried out Dolby digital and I could swear, at least with everything running through the receiver, that it sounds better than 5.1 PCM. Is it due to how I have it hooked up (and the receiver doing the decoding) or am I crazy? Do I need to run everything through the Xbox instead?

·
Registered
57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber  /t/1523249/getting-the-most-out-of-my-surround-sound#post_24510815

PCM will be better.

What specifically do you think sounds better (tv through the x1 or everything)?

Well that's the thing, I don't have my satellite or anything going through my Xbox, it's all going through my receiver. So it's just the games. So it shouldn't make a difference for games right? Maybe I'm overthinking this. From a surround perspective it seems that Dolby digital sounds better through my Onkyo. The problem is that I hear some popping, which seems to be an issue since MS added DD. I've read a lot of people are having issues hearing it with headphones, which is the main reason they added DD.

·
UHD Addict
38,977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhouse74  /t/1523249/getting-the-most-out-of-my-surround-sound#post_24511406

Well that's the thing, I don't have my satellite or anything going through my Xbox, it's all going through my receiver. So it's just the games. So it shouldn't make a difference for games right? Maybe I'm overthinking this. From a surround perspective it seems that Dolby digital sounds better through my Onkyo. The problem is that I hear some popping, which seems to be an issue since MS added DD. I've read a lot of people are having issues hearing it with headphones, which is the main reason they added DD.

The games have high quality audio too. Encoding it to DD or DTS will decrease it's audio quality. Plus if the game is in 7.1, DD/DTS can't handle 7.1

But if you are using headphones then I don't think you have a choice but to use legacy audio.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts