AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TV, unfortunately, has no way to directly select an input. You have to scroll through the available inputs to get to the one you want. Are there any standard workarounds with programmable remotes for dealing with this situation? I've read about Harmony's "Smart State" -- will this address my situation?

tia

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Quote:
Are there any standard workarounds with programmable remotes for dealing with this situation?
standard no, but possible, yes. what brand of TV and what universal remote?

Quote:
I've read about Harmony's "Smart State" -- will this address my situation?
yes

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't bought a remote yet. I want to make sure that whatever I buy has the best chance of solving the problem. The TV is a Mitsubishi WS-48313.

thanks

·
Registered
500 Posts
cityboy, I just got the Harmony and it does work with my four inputs on my Panny 6UY. It knows where it was and counts the number of clicks to take me to the correct input. The only time it messes up is when you reboot the Harmony with a new config. Or obviously if I manually change inputs and get it out of sequence. But even then, the help function will step you thru until it gets back in sequence - and then it is good to go until your next reboot. All of my "activities" use a separate input, so it has to change them alot. DVD, Cable SD, Satellite HD = all different inputs.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Have you tried putting your Mits remote in "discrete" mode? You can then learn the discrete input commands to any learning remote then. How you do it is described in the second post here . It works with most "WS" series Mits.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great advice. thank you for the suggestion. I was hoping that there would be some feature like this and I even called Mitsubishi to ask. They denied it. This solution will work perfectly.

thanks again

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
I have two displays in the same room, one TV set and one projector.

My TV doesn't have discrete input, but I was able to simulate it by selecting a TV channel before pressing the INPUT button -- that way it is guaranteed to begin at a specific input.

I've also programmed this into my SST-659 and now my Harmony is always in sync with my TV.

However, yes, you can even make the SST-659 go to a specific input, even if the TV set has no workaround for a specific input, once you synchronize the TV state with the Harmony's state.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
>>"The only time it messes up is when you reboot the Harmony with a new config."

There's a workaround. You can press the "Watch TV" button before you connect to a PC. Then AFTER you upload a new config, press "Watch TV" button again but THIS TIME COVER THE IR SENSOR with the palm of your hand so it doesn't screw up your equipment. Now your remote is synchronized with the equipment. No more messups.

Alternatively, find a pseudodiscrete code (for example Channel 03 followed by INPUT button) that guarantees synchronization to a specific input. Sometimes this isn't possible, but you can try.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Rejhon

[BAlternatively, find a pseudodiscrete code (for example Channel 03 followed by INPUT button) that guarantees synchronization to a specific input. Sometimes this isn't possible, but you can try. [/b]
Good suggestion. With many TVs, pushing "Channel Up" will take it to a known state (ie: CATV input or Antenna A).

·
Registered
182 Posts
With my Harmony 659 I tried to set the TV inputs like my TV remote where I have to keep pressing the Input button until it gets to the right one. But it never worked right with the 659 until I contacted Harmony and they told me that there were already discrete codes for every input for my TV on the web site. So, I just select the desired input for each activity and that's all there is to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.