AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LCD after LCD, I see it. it gives me motion sickness..as well as this sense of dis-satisfaction of paying almost a grand for a tv and being unhappy with it.

I might just have to jump ship and heard for a plasma, but i like to use my tv as a monitor and play a decent amount of xbox. So.....has plasma technology enabled these possibilities yet? I know years ago this was a huge deal with IR/burn-in. a fair amount of the plasma tvs i look at dont even have vga inputs which makes me feel like they just dont recommend using a pc on it. a lot of movies tend to have the black box around the video....i worry about that being shadowed as well :/

should I just not worry? I wish plasma had all the features LCD tends to have.....Every time I find one that I think that I'd be happy with, I look at the connections and go *seriously...only an optical audio out? no usb?*

so it seems like there is no happy medium here. its either connections out the wazoo and frame judder, or fluid spectacular frame movement with 3 inputs. --sigh--

what to do...what to do.

·
Registered
231 Posts
On my panasonic LCD I saw the juddering too on camera panning.

It sort of flickered and hurt my eyes.

But once I turned motion picture 5 to ''weak'' it all went away and now panning is smooth now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've been playing with setting for over a week....nothing really seems to change the motion of the camera pan....i mean....it can ge0t a very nice picture...and 90% of the time either cameras just do not pan slowly....or i dont notice it. If its a regular tv show it doesnt seem to be nearly as bad as a movie...

perhaps video vs film on that one.

I currently have a LG 42 inch 60Hz.... not sure if 120Hz will change that. Everything says *less motion blur!*. I can deal with blurring.....I just cant deal with the judder.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I feel your pain. I had Pioneer plasmas for years and switched to a 55 inch Vizio LCD last December. While I did like the picture quality and didn't see much "judder" on the Vizio, I was forced to return it due to the random re-boot issue. After having the same issue on two separate Vizio LCD's, I decided to try a 60 inch Sharp Aquos Quattron. The picture quality on this set is DREADFUL, and sports are almost completely unwatchable, due to the awful judder. Anytime there is fast motion on the screen, everything looks like it is in slow motion. This is the one and only set I've ever noticed this on. This TV is definitely going back. Now, I simply need to figure out if there are any LCD's that don't have this issue or simply go back to plasma, where I never ever had any issues (or any other issues) like this. I heard the new 64 inch Samsung D8000 is an impressive set, but I've also read that Samsung has some quality control issues with their 2011 displays, so who knows where this is going to end. I hate the thought of returning a TV, but simply can't live with lousy picture quality for a $2000.00 display. I'm willing to pay even more simply to eliminate this motion blurring and have a picture that pops.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats exactly what I'm going through right now. This is my second tv in a month, I keep taking them back and trying to explain the problem. Best Buy doesnt seem to mind because each time i return, I spent a couple hundred more. They should have corrected the juddering issue before even trying their hand at 3D or LED. I'm not sure if its just an LG thing...(i'd assume not) or if it will simply be resolved with 120Hz. I have my doubts though. As bad as it was with 60Hz I just don't see 120 completely getting rid of it.

So I might just have to buy a plasma and be paranoid about burn in and all that. at least that is somewhat preventable.

looks like i'll have to upgrade my receiver ontop of buying a blu ray plus a new laptop with HDMI outputs in order to get what I'm looking for.

I heard the same thing about Samsung though. i hated the way the auqos bezel looked and it had whopping 5 watt speakers, no usb....was a shame.

·
Registered
461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean80 /forum/post/20406365

As bad as it was with 60Hz I just don't see 120 completely getting rid of it.

Speakers are never an issue for me on a TV, because I always use my surround sound for even regular viewing. In terms of the 120hz resolving the judder issue...I would say that it's doubtful. I'm not close to the expert that some on this forum are but the Sharp TV I bought just a week ago is 240hz and the motion blur is as bad as I've ever seen.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ouch :/ i mean its hard to compete with 600Hz so far. me and my fiancee are pretty picky about tvs....well....we're picky about spending money on something that doesnt live up to expectations. we watch fartoo many movies for that to be ok. i WANT to like lcd....they just make it difficult. the only problem I have with them is the judder. I tend not to notice the motion blur but when the frame starts getting all shakes.

[ [ [ [ ]

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2010 LG pk550 that I use with my PC/Xbox 360. It has 4 hdmi, a vga and a USB port (can only use it to view pictures and listen to music however) It has one optical out which only passes stereo sound out, which is kind of lame but not really an issue for me since I run my PC via HDMI and use it's optical out to connect to my receiver. Xbox is hooked up over VGA for my setup with it's optical going to my receiver as well.

LG's have a reputation for IR and I do get it to some degree but I try to keep static images off my desktop as much as possible. I have my icons hidden from the desktop and use a solid gray color for the wallpaper. It's not pretty but combined with an altered preset picture setting, lowering the contrast and brightness while I browse around the internet or do anything work related I keep any IR to a minimum. I use different picture settings for viewing movies/gaming. I have no burn in and have been using the TV and my HTPC for nearly all my viewing and gaming for a bit over a year now for several hours a day and still have a stunning picture and absolutely no burn in. The IR I do get is easily fixed running a color wash or white wash for a few minutes.

It does require jumping through some hoops doing all of this but I'd rather deal with these things than have a juddering picture, soap opera effect etc. My brother has a newer Samsung LCD I'm not sure which one but I was amazed how crappy it looked compared to my pk550. Granted Best Buy did calibrate his set. >.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermeister /forum/post/20406859

LG's have a reputation for IR and I do get it to some degree but I try to keep static images off my desktop as much as possible. I have my icons hidden from the desktop and use a solid gray color for the wallpaper. It's not pretty but combined with an altered preset picture setting, lowering the contrast and brightness while I browse around the internet or do anything work related I keep any IR to a minimum. I use different picture settings for viewing movies/gaming. I have no burn in and have been using the TV and my HTPC for nearly all my viewing and gaming for a bit over a year now for several hours a day and still have a stunning picture and absolutely no burn in. The IR I do get is easily fixed running a color wash or white wash for a few minutes.

If you're running windows 7, you can set the wallpaper to slideshow so that it changes every so often (you can set it to change every 10 seconds if you want). Probably preferable to leaving on a static image, even if it is gray.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I might just end up getting the Samsung - 51" Class / 1080p / 600Hz / 3D Plasma HDTV - PN51D550C1 - just because it has pc inputs and adeqate HDMI ports...even if they are on the wrong side lol.

A new one is coming out thats a fair amount cheaper....close to the same specs....I have yet to see one actually for sale though (PN51D530A3)

i can live without 3d, but it seems like you just get it whether you like it or not at this price range. besides the price tag on the 3D blu ray (and lack of them to begin with) kind of makes me not want 3D at all. Seems like 3D is here to stay but who knows. My fiance would love it but I'm happy either way. Looks like a really nice set though.

(ps its hard to not dsiscuss price....just saying. i keep doing it on auto-pilot then having to delete it)

either way I'm pretty much sold on the plasma... I'll jump through some hoops and try to cater to the plasma in order to reduce this juddery stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts