AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a used hlt6176s. I love the picture quality, color, and brightness! I bought the Avia II calibration disk and after calibrating it I think it looks even better than it did before. I am VERY happy with the results.

The only problem is that when I looked through the threads my setting were much different than what others had ended up with after the calibration.

My settings are...

Mode: Movie

Contrast:100

Brightness:33

Sharpness:30

Color:48

Tint: G-47 R-53

Color Tone:Normal

Most people are posting that their contrast is around 30 and the brightness is around 60. Why are my settings so different?

The disk told me to turn my contrast up as high as it will go before the top two boxes start to blend together. No matter how high I turned it up the top two boxes are still not bleeding together.

The other question I have is that next the disk says I should see two bars when adjusting the brightness... I see three.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

If someone went into the service menu to change internal settings, then your user settings will be different.

There are three rules to keep in mind when setting contrast.

1. No clipping

2. No discoloration

3. Eye fatigue. If it hurts your eyes ... the contrast is still too high.

regards

·
Registered
955 Posts
your settings sound reasonable to me.

The brightness will be in that range if DNIe is turned off.

The color setting "may" be a bit too high.

fun stuff!!

Gregg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen /forum/post/15440209

your settings sound reasonable to me.

The brightness will be in that range if DNIe is turned off.

The color setting "may" be a bit too high.

fun stuff!!

Gregg

Yeah actually it is pretty fun. I love doing this stuff.

And I found that most people have their color a little above 50 for these sets.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB /forum/post/15440716

Picture settings will vary from display sample to sample, from one viewing environment condition to another, from one DVD player to another, etc. This "sticky" thread details many of these issues: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055906 . User error is another factor.

Yeah but if my contrast is at 100 and everyone elses is at 30 that is a little more than viewing enviroment differance.

I'm leaning more on the side of user error. What am I doing wrong???? Anyone?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanater /forum/post/15441733

Yeah but if my contrast is at 100 and everyone elses is at 30 that is a little more than viewing enviroment differance.

I'm leaning more on the side of user error. What am I doing wrong???? Anyone?

When I did my Sammy DLP with DVE (HD DVD) my contrast ended up at 94, so you're not alone. Don't pay too much attention to the numbers compared to other peoples, just concentrate on how it looks. you may need a second set of eyes to give an outside opinion, I know at least for me my eyes start to go a little goofy after lots of time calibrating stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.