Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have:

- new 50" Panny G20

- 20+ yr old but nice Yamaha integrated amp, not being used

- 20+ yr old but nice pair of Canton speakers, not being used

Don't have:

- AV surround sound receiver

- any receiver or amp that terminates/accepts digital audio input

Before buying the HDTV, I read specs somewhere saying it has 2 analog audio inputs. Great, I can send audio to the Yamaha and then to the Cantons and listen to v nice TV sound (no surround sound system, nor much interest in one).

I got the TV 4 days ago, and it seems to have no analog audio output. I looked everywhere, and tried various connections. Of course I turned off the TV's speakers and think I did everything right. And I know the old amp and speakers work. Can't get sound to my Cantons. Googled around to see where I saw the spec saying I could. Found it on a panasonic.no site, which is Norway. Ugh. I have a question in to Panasonic to find out if I have analog output capability, and expect to hear from them in a few days. I'm kinda thinking I don't.

Options? I have another 26 days or so to return the TV, but I suspect other nice HDTVs will also have no analog audio output. Is there a converter to take the TV's digital audio and make it analog? Short of getting a different TV, is the only way to buy an AV receiver? If so, any recommendations given I am only using it for HDTV audio to 2 speakers?

Many thanks, folks.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Do you have a headphone jack on the TV? You could use that jack, and connect an RCA cable with a 3.5mm jack at one end, and analog RCA jacks (Red and White) at the other end to achieve what you desire.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
zervinb - Unfortunately, I see no headphone jack on TV and see no mention of one in manual.

jdsmoothie - This may work. Thank you! I've done some reading, and some Amazon customers of Gefen say this works great for exactly my app, while others say it works not at all. Some of them say it depends on the audio format sent to my TV from my provider (Charter Comm). This makes little sense to me since my TV can obviously process my provider's audio output. What makes more sense to me is that the choice of converter needs to be made with knowledge of my TV's digital audio output format. After all, that is what's being converted, right?

So I reckon I'll contact Panasonic and try and learn the TV's digital audio output format, then hunt for a converter that can process that format to analog stereo audio. Do I have this right?

Sorry if I my ignorance is making this difficult, but I'm trying.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
If you are using a satellite or cable box most of them have analog out jacks. Connect that to the input jacks on the integrated and call it neat.

Also many tvs today have speakers that are connected via RCA jacks. You could connect those jacks to the inputs on the integrated amp. Make sure you have the volume off - increase it little by little so you don't overwhelm the analog inputs on the amp.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Allen M
Quote:
So I reckon I'll contact Panasonic and try and learn the TV's digital audio output format, then hunt for a converter that can process that format to analog stereo audio. Do I have this right?

In the Panasonic OM under "Technical Information" explain the "Digital Audio Out" terminal - using the internal tuner will output Dolby Digital. And then it refer to "Recommended AV Connections" to explain (under NOTE) when other components are connected to this unit the "Digital Audio Out" - the system switches to 2CH audio.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I need an optical cable to connect my Panasonic G15 to my THX 5.1 receiver. It seems you will need a digital to analog converter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Knucklehead90 ... eureka! Cable box indeed has analog audio outputs. I now have sound out of the Cantons. Neat indeed. But ...

The TV's remote does not control Canton speaker volume. When I try, the TV screen flashes a note to say the speakers are off. The OM says to go to the menu and turn off the TV's speakers if using alternative speakers, which I have done. So I just now went to the TV menu and turned the TV's speakers back on, and to my surprise, the Canton speakers stayed on. So, I now have on both the TV and Canton speakers.

In this setup, the TV remote of course controls TV speaker volume but not Canton speaker volume. The Charter remote also does not control Canton speaker volume.

Only way I (now) know to adjust Canton speaker volume is by getting up and turing the integrated amp volume dial. Ugh.

So is there a way to adjust Canton speaker volume remotely? The integrated amp never had a remote, as it is 20+ years old. Sure do appreciate all this help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts