AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Whats your cpu usage when playing back mkv? If your not hardware accelerating those files, that could cause it depending on your cpu. I have the gigabyte equivalent of your board and don't have stutter at all and cpu use is below 10%.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My cpu is C2Duo E4400 with 2gig Ram, I downloaded the latest nvidia drivers

and it seems much better. My cpu usage is ~35%. By hardware acceleration what do you mean? There is a button under video settings in xbmc-interlace handling- which is set to auto and the method is bilinear, is this correct?

I guess you are familiar with that.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hardware acceleration is when your video card is given the task of decoding video instead of your cpu. That's why I'm thinking if your seeing stuttering during playback it's because your cpu is doing the job and not able to keep up with it. But if your cpu is at 35% during playback and never goes towards 90% then you probably aren't getting stutter because of that.

Here's a wiki for XBMC talking about HA but the option it mentions, I don't see in my copy. But that's the feature you want to make sure is working properly. Sorry I can't help more.

What happens when you playback mkv's in windows media player? Do you still get stutter sometimes?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, I don't see it either in my copy. But, while pressing O on the keyboard, it shows that cpu usage is around 92%, and not what I mentioned earlier while seeing it at the processes running. Perhaps nvidia GF9400 is insufficient for mkv playback.

·
Registered
385 Posts
92% cpu is your problem. The cpu is trying to decode your video and it's not fast enough. What you need to do is get your 9400 to start decoding then everything will be fine.

I searched a little and found out that hardware acceleration isn't supported in the stable release of XBMC, you need to install a different version. Here's a good link with a tutorial, it will fix all your problems.

http://thehtpcblog.com/2010/08/12/ho...c-for-windows/

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
FYI, the GF9400 has played back every good mkv I've thrown at it using hardware acceleration so it is capable. You need to get hardware decoding working. Looks pretty simple in the link crkpot posted.

Peter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts