AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Nvidia chipset card-BFG Asylum Geforce4 Ti 4200 128 Mb AGP 8x with TV out ( s-video ) and dual head out (1-VGA out, 1 DVI-I single link out). TV Tool identifies my TV chip as Philips SAA7104 ( used for s-video out? right?)

My TV is a Toshiba 42HDX82 (7" CRT based) HD Capable RPTV with DVI-D single link with HDCP.

My husband likes this new card for the PC Games over his 64 MB GF2 MX400 and wants to keep it for this reason,of course. I chose this card for the dual heads for using the computer with the TV but it appears that DVI out is still a fantasy on this TV. I also wanted use it for ouputting educational material, powerpoint presentations, text doc's etc., view photos, watch short videos, light DVD but not exclusive for DVD's.

S-Video Out

I was previously using the NVidia NView software that accompanied my video card to control the dual heads and TV out (s-video). Overscan was minimal with S-video out, but the quality of the picture was very poor. Horizontal lines and severe pixelization made the output unusable. One time, for about an hour, it did output a good stable picture using only the NView software to control the s-video out. This made me think that it was not a hardware problem after all, but perhaps a software problem instead.

I corresponded with BFG Asylum Tech support many times regarding this matter, but they were unable to correct this problem and recommended I take the card back for a exchange due to a suspected bad capacitor.

I exchanged the card as suggested but the same problem remained. I began to search the internet for suggestions for alternate software to control the output. BFG never suggested that there was any alternate software to control the output. I found references to TVTool and other shareware so I decided it could not get any worse. TV Tool worked great for s-video out. Text is not perfectly clear but it is usable, and from the extensive FAQ's and updates, it looks like TVTool plans to keep improving as long as they can get data from the TV chip makers.

Ok so S-video out is working ok but it's not going to be good enough for long term use for someone like me who has seen HDTV already.

DVI to VGA and back again

A little DVI to VGA converter thingy that came with the card to convert the second head which is DVI-I single link on the card back to VGA to hook up a second analog monitor if desired.

I could then theoretically then use a vga to hd component transcoder, right on that second head, right?

Will the conversion from DVI_I single link to VGA and then conversion from vga to hd component degrade the signal so much that it will look as bad as the s-video out anyway and therefore defeat the purpose of it?

Should I:

1.) Keep this card and use it in the manner described until DVI drivers gets better for my TV, card $109.00, vga to hd component convertor $200.00 no loop through.

or

2.) take card back and find something with dual head VGA that performs as well for gaming as this card and use the convertor on that. cost est $150.00 card, $200.00 convertor with no loop through.

or

3.) Get the Key Digital with the VGA loop through and use my old video card which has only 1 vga out and wait a couple of years for a new video card? $300.00

What do you guys think? short answer is ok-choose 1,2,3 or suggest your own solution.

Long answer is, of course, always greatly appreciated. Feel free to insert links to posts which illustrate your own results if needed to avoid redundancy.

Thank you,

Dee

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I don't know, but I can't wait to hear the suggestions. I have a PNY Ti 4200 with DVI, S-video, and of course, VGA out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.