AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to have my projector installed in the next month. In preps I had an outlet added to my install point on the ceiling. When I came home today instead of using a normal outlet my electrical guy installed a GFI outlet. Is this ok? will it act as a surge protector? Could it damage my projector? I can have him switch it out if it would cause a problem

thx,

·
Premium Member
6,251 Posts
GFI protection is required by code in certain situations. Outdoor plugs, basement plugs, garage plugs, kitchen plugs, and bathroom plugs are all required to have Ground Fault Interruption circuits. Your situation may have required a GFI receptacle. But, these plugs won't harm anything and they shouldn't cause any interference or abnormal operation.

Basically all a GFI receptacle does is make sure that the current in the black and white wires is the same (IIRC, a difference of more than 5ma causes the GFI circuit to kick in and interrupt power). If there is a difference in current between these wires that means current is finding another path back to the source and that could be dangerous .... especially if the path is thru you ....

·
Banned
3,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parys /forum/post/19572260

Getting ready to have my projector installed in the next month. In preps I had an outlet added to my install point on the ceiling. When I came home today instead of using a normal outlet my electrical guy installed a GFI outlet. Is this ok? will it act as a surge protector? Could it damage my projector? I can have him switch it out if it would cause a problem

thx,

Author deleted warning

·
Registered
105 Posts
Currently finishing my theater room in preparation for the RS40. I asked my electrician to have my projectors power outlet go to my APC Voltage Regulators first. I though this would be sufficient because when the power goes out and back on doesn't the JVC stays off until manually turn back on?

Also do we know the wattage requirement for the RS40?

Edit: Found it in the UK manual, 350W(3.5A) (Standby mode: 0.9W)

Here is a pic of the Line-R from APC. I have one covering my receiver/amp, one for my sub and one for my projector.

http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=67

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think that a UPS is recommended so that the bulb fan can continue to run after the pj is powered off. So if the power goes out in your home the UPS keeps power to the pj long enough for you to do a graceful shutdown. Most people will run a power-bridge from the UPS to the pj outlet.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,168 Posts
I posted this many times but here is my elegant power solution for my projector. I run a power feed from the GFI outlet next to the service panel into a UPS then I use a power cord to a power inlet that feeds the dedicated circuit running to the projector. I left plenty of romex up in the ceiling so that if the future owner wants to hook it up the conventional way it will be a 5 minute project.

I am also using a 2BK rack for the UPS.

The black smudge is were a Cox Cable installer almost drilled his last hole. After his supervisor came out to inspect the damage and get an emergency repair made to my main service ($800) the installer said it was probably going to be his last day and that he was planning on starting his own company to do structured wiring installs in high end homes.

·
Banned
3,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/19578864

The black smudge is were a Cox Cable installer almost drilled his last hole. After his supervisor came out to inspect the damage and get an emergency repair made to my main service ($800) the installer said it was probably going to be his last day and that he was planning on starting his own company to do structured wiring installs in high end homes.

Author deleted comment

·
Registered
105 Posts
Did any of you burned a bulb because you didn't have any UPS? Or does it just shorten the life of the bulb when power goes out? Does the JVC turn itself back on after an outage?

The RS40 will be my first projector as you can tell. In 8 years in my previous house not once did we miss power while I was watching tv. I'm thinking a 300$ UPS or a 300$ spare bulb that needs to be change anyway at some point is hard to argue...

·
Banned
3,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatboyC
Did any of you burned a bulb because you didn't have any UPS? Or does it just shorten the life of the bulb when power goes out? Does the JVC turn itself back on after an outage?

The RS40 will be my first projector as you can tell. In 8 years in my previous house not once did we miss power while I was watching tv. I'm thinking a 300$ UPS or a 300$ spare bulb that needs to be change anyway at some point is hard to argue...
Author deleted answer

·
Premium Member
6,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 /forum/post/19580697

Actually you just need a UPS that will keep the projector on long enough for you to turn it off and let the fan cool the bulb. Also power regulation / surge protection is a must. I'm planning on using a $99 APC version that I'll put on a wall shelf high up (and secured) next to the projector.

To clarify, under normal operating conditions an UPS has to be able to power the projector so it should have at least a 350W capability for the new JVC's.

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE=alk3997;19580697]Actually you just need a UPS that will keep the projector on long enough for you to turn it off and let the fan cool the bulb. Also power regulation / surge protection is a must. I'm planning on using a $99 APC version that I'll put on a wall shelf high up (and secured) next to the projector.[/quote]

I have an Epson 6500, and a modified sine wave UPS wouldn't run the projector. I went to a full sine wave UPS and it works fine. The cheapest one I could find was the Cyberpower PP800SW UPS - 800VA/550W PureSine AVR Boost/Buck 7-Outlet RJ11/RJ45 Tower EMI/RFI USB/Serial

$190 on Amazon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts