AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that haven't seen it, it looks like the fine folks at Activision REALLY want us to play GH:5... they've announced that the game will be able to read from a 32GB SD card, which is 800 songs worth of DLC according to this article:

http://www.endsights.com/2009/08/12/...from-sd-cards/


Which would also include everything you might have already DL'd from GH:3 and WT. And if that's not a nice enough gesture, the pre-order giveaway? GH: Van Halen-

http://hub.guitarhero.com/vanhalengameoffer/


That's not bad for $60. Throw in the other bonus items out there (2 free DLC songs from GameStop, 5 free MP3's from Amazon, an exclusive faceplate from GameCrazy) and the possibility of a trade in bonus... this is lining up to be quite the freebie release.


-vdz




[edit] Hell, Walmart has the game for $49 and is throwing in a free $10 eGift card (whatever that is).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,253 Posts
Saw the IGN preview yesterday when I got back from vacation.


Yeah, GH5 looks impressive on it's feature set, esp for Wii. Apparently, ALL save data, DLC, everything...goes straight to & is read/run DIRECTLY FROM the SD card. No more needing to make sure there's enough internal memory available. GH5 looks to be treating your SD/SDHC card as a de facto "hard drive". Nice!! Vicarious Visions apparently worked closely w/ Nintendo to make this happen.


With GH5, Wii users will finally be able to purchase album/track packs from the GH Music Store - and get the pack price break 360/PS3-ers enjoy. For Wii...say you buy the Hendrix pack. You pay the pack price in Wii Points, then the in-game store proceeds DL-ing them (straight to SD) one at a time. You can even pause the purchase to play songs that have DL-ed already & resume the rest of the DL later, if you like. And tracks from albums/packs can still be bought as singles if you wish. I assume the 200 block limit GHWT had for Wii DLC is now dead.


Another option that caught my eye? TRACK IMPORTATION!! GH5 will feature importation of tracks from GHWT & Smash Hits. In the case of Wii, Activision has re-licensed many disc tracks from both games (exact counts not announced yet, but Activision/VicariousVisions states it will be an "ongoing process", so I read). Those disc tracks will be purchasable for a yet-unknown fee & treated as DLC. And WT/Smash Hits tracks will also have GH5-related new stuff tacked onto them.


Take this stuff & add on the kinda cool DS link up features & it looks like Wii finally gets "the real deal" in a music game, not a "me too" version.


It's cool enough that I am now thinking I may look around this weekend for one of those newly dumped to $99 WT sets & get back into GH. The GH5 features as well as GH: Van Halen coming? Hmm....we'll see.


What I do know with all certainty is that HMX/EA have their work cut out for them. They ran with the Wii improvements made in GHWT & did a fine job w/ RB2. The Beatles is said to have SDHC compatibility (not confirmed, but a logical assumption). Let's hope the inevitable RB3 takes the GH5 Wii beef-ups & run even further with that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen /forum/post/16992800


For those that haven't seen it, it looks like the fine folks at Activision REALLY want us to play GH:5... they've announced that the game will be able to read from a 32GB SD card, which is 800 songs worth of DLC according to this article:

http://www.endsights.com/2009/08/12/...from-sd-cards/


Which would also include everything you might have already DL'd from GH:3 and WT. And if that's not a nice enough gesture, the pre-order giveaway? GH: Van Halen-

http://hub.guitarhero.com/vanhalengameoffer/


That's not bad for $60. Throw in the other bonus items out there (2 free DLC songs from GameStop, 5 free MP3's from Amazon, an exclusive faceplate from GameCrazy) and the possibility of a trade in bonus... this is lining up to be quite the freebie release.


-vdz




[edit] Hell, Walmart has the game for $49 and is throwing in a free $10 eGift card (whatever that is).
http://www.endsights.com/2009/08/11/...ero-van-halen/



According to this report, on Sept 1st when GH5 drops, specially marked packages will have the "unreleased" GH: VH in the case for free!! If so, this is what I will buy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,141 Posts
Funny jwebb is even considering this now and yet I'm still kind of depressed at the thought of it because I just like the rectangular notes in RB better now and the tightehr windows even though I made fun of jhof for saying he liked the rectangulars better. lol


Too bad for the second straight year Harmonix is doing nothing innovative wheile Activision greatly improves their games. Harmonix made one good game and then just put out basically the same game with a different set list and they're riding the one good idea wheras yes Activision does milk, but they at least add new features in EVERY game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 /forum/post/16996157


Funny jwebb is even considering this now and yet I'm still kind of depressed at the thought of it because I just like the rectangular notes in RB better now and the tightehr windows even though I made fun of jhof for saying he liked the rectangulars better. lol


Too bad for the second straight year Harmonix is doing nothing innovative wheile Activision greatly improves their games. Harmonix made one good game and then just put out basically the same game with a different set list and they're riding the one good idea wheras yes Activision does milk, but they at least add new features in EVERY game.


And as HMX did when issuing RB2 after GHWT's Wii advancements - taking them & applying them to their game, logic dictates they do the same come RB3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,141 Posts
I'm not talking about wii advancements, I'm tlaking about game advancements.


Les paul died. Best guitar for these games still the les paul.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goheat /forum/post/16998379


Yeah, I highly doubt the actual VH game will be packed in. Sounds like a misinformed report to me!


Just reporting what I read - but yeah, it looks like the linked article was wrong.


Oddly, the 6-8 weeks the official preorder page states it would take to get GH:VH to your door would skirt closely to it's 12/22/09 release date, esp if you hold off on mailing in your offer info until it's cutoff (10/31/09).


Still a nice bonus. Am considering this myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,141 Posts
Man the lag in GHWT just now was so bad it makes me mad because I was playing songs on expert bass which I never passed and it ruined me from passing one. My arm getting tired was NOT what made me fail assassin just nowm, it was the stupid lag where on those long strips it was off from note 1 onward on eachs tip where it was forcing me to miss tons of them!


Then I did pass pull me under on my first try when for some reason that one eluded me in the past.


Drums definitely perform better in0-game which means RB2 is indeed causing the drums not to work. While technically it's still the drums causing the issue they DO work in GHWT and are simply not properly "allowed" in RB2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,253 Posts
 http://wii.ign.com/articles/102/1020647p1.html


IGN gives GH5 Wii a 9.3. Says "if you own a Wii, you need GH5". Not so sure about THAT, but it's nice to know that this particular music game is the first this gen to be 100% feature complete - ONLY difference btwn it & the PS3/360 versions is the lack of 720p/1080p HD visuals. In fact, IGN states multi console owners might want to consider getting GH5 on the Wii. All 360?ps3 goodies are there, plus youget the Wii exclusive Roadie Battle that allows coop connection for DS ("roadie" can tweak stage lights, "fix your amp" & other stuff in game).


Big deal to Wii rockers - track importation.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/102/1020685p1.html


The link will show you the list of 35 GHWT tracks that are importable (so far) into GH5. Smash Hits tracks coming soon. GH imports are still DL-ed as DLC, but you will have to have the uniquie code printed on the back of the WT disc instruction manual. That & 350 Wii Points. That is correct, imported tracks will run you .10 each. Not too shabby.


Now, HMX.....PLEASE have MTV/Viacom use some influence & get those RB/RB2 tracks re-licensed for "importation", too. RB3 Wii NEEDS this feature (and since GH5 has it, you can almost bet that it will).


But alas, I don;t feel like buying any GH gear again, so I stll await The Beatles & RB3. Nice to see the effort, though (and free GH: VH would still be kinda cool).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/17107829


35 tracks out of 85 is garbage. Rock Band 2 let you import all but 3. Once again Activision/Neversoft can't live up to Harmonix.


Agreed. But there is some talk elsewhere that more WT tracks will come later on. Not sure - and in some cases (Tool, for example), I highly doubt they ever show.


The GH5 import MODEL, however, is something I hope to see HMX build & improve on come RB3. Particularly on the Wii.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/17107829


35 tracks out of 85 is garbage. Rock Band 2 let you import all but 3. Once again Activision/Neversoft can't live up to Harmonix.

Humorous. They can't live up to them, but their game was rated better than either Rock Band game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,141 Posts
By the way no it's not parity. I read the review. it's above the other versions, not even with them.


I wonder what DLC is already there ebcause it says DLC is muchs tronger yet I haven't noticed yet what DLC there is.


edit: I see it says they improved audio. The audio was the main reason I liked RB2 more than GHWT. GHWT has funner charting with cool features unlike RB2, but the audio sounding too poor quality is what made me keep going to rb2.


edit 2: I do see under my thumb and I can't get no satisfaction are DLC although are live versions. Also I better not buy runnin' down a dream on RB2 if I do get GH5 since it's on GH5. Most of the GH5 setlist is songs I've never heard, so I just don't know what to do now. I only know for sure I like 10 or less. But I may not like any mroe than 10 beatles songs either for all I remember.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/102/1021000p1.html


Ther eis the dlc schedule. Still not too impressive. But ya know what... I should find GH: smash hits used, import, sell back... because i want free bird.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,141 Posts
Can you even play all instruments in this game or only guitar? I assumed all, but apparently it's only sold as game only or with guitar... no mention of drums. Not that I would buy GH drums again, but odd that they don't seem to be selling a full band kit.


Also I see this and the beatles game are now both $60 when no other wii games cost the same as the other consoles'! Andddd I notice that for the $60 you pay for this game since you get the VH game free that's like 120 songs for the same price as only 45 beatles songs.


Also I believe it was mongo who said even 3% made a "huge difference" in scores when rb2 was barely rated ahead of ghwt? Well this game so far is rated about 5-6% ahead of the beatles game.


And people have said the timing windows are back to GH and GH style. Funny jwebb hasn't played the game and disagrees it's a must buy already and yet he said rb2 was a must buy and some games rated in the 7's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 /forum/post/17113146


Can you even play all instruments in this game or only guitar? I assumed all, but apparently it's only sold as game only or with guitar... no mention of drums. Not that I would buy GH drums again, but odd that they don't seem to be selling a full band kit.


Also I see this and the beatles game are now both $60 when no other wii games cost the same as the other consoles'! Andddd I notice that for the $60 you pay for this game since you get the VH game free that's like 120 songs for the same price as only 45 beatles songs.


Also I believe it was mongo who said even 3% made a "huge difference" in scores when rb2 was barely rated ahead of ghwt? Well this game so far is rated about 5-6% ahead of the beatles game.


And people have said the timing windows are back to GH and GH style. Funny jwebb hasn't played the game and disagrees it's a must buy already and yet he said rb2 was a must buy and some games rated in the 7's.


Yes, you can play all GH instruments in GH5 - however, it is only being sold at the moment as a disc-only or w/ the new guitar. Pics of new drums hit the 'net a while back, but for now they seem to be sticking w/ WT stuff.


In regards to your yammering on about review scores & perceived value, here is how I see it....and this is just ME & MY OPINION of what I spend my $$ on. Not a recommendation to the AVS crowd.


For $60 you can get The Beatles or GH5 + GH: Van Halen in the mail.


Beatles = 45 disc tracks I know I will like ('cuz I already DO!!). The rest of the catalog coming as DLC....and I like those tunes, too. And it will play perfectly w/ all my RB gear.


GH5 + GH: VH = Only thing I feel I'm missing are the 25+ VH classics & a handful (and I mean a SMALL handful) of the GH5 tunes. Some of which could very well end up in a RB game (VH, AFAIK, did not sign some exclusive deal w/ Activision like Metallica or Aerosmith did - those tunes COULD come). And quite a few GH5 tracks are already in RB. AND, I would need to buy all new gear. Plus, both GH titles contain quite a few tunes I do not care to have or can live without. Much rather have the songs I do want offered as DLC (and this may haapen in the case of many of these tunes).


So which of the 2 is my own personal "best deal"?


That would be the former (Fab Four).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,141 Posts
You're leaving out that the GH5 game is apparently a better game in general. In the past you mentioned charting as a main reason for liking RB over GH and now GH has the best charting again apparently.


Mepersonally I don't know what I am going to do. I like a whopping 3 VH songs probably. But I will probably only enjoy maybe 10-15 beatles songs. So it's pay $60 for 15 songs or pay $60 for however many songs I like on GH5 plus the few vh songs. I am guessing I would like at least 15 still AND can put my GHWT songs on there AND it boosts audio to my DLC and GHWT songs AND I can put free bird on there and re-sell the disc.


Anyone know how the importing of GH:SH would work? Is my best option to buy it used, import, and then re-sell? I hate to do like jwebb and take advantage by renting it and importing... And also is something tied to the disc itself where once they're imported it can't be done again? I don't want to end up with one that has been done already. I want to play free bird.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 /forum/post/17117849



Anyone know how the importing of GH:SH would work? Is my best option to buy it used, import, and then re-sell? I hate to do like jwebb and take advantage by renting it and importing... And also is something tied to the disc itself where once they're imported it can't be done again? I don't want to end up with one that has been done already. I want to play free bird.



WHAT? You just spout winners left & right, don't you? And by "winners", I mean mindless S**T.


But to answer the question, WT & SH both have numeric codes on the back covers of the owners manuals. You apparently have to enter the code & pay the import fee to gain access to the tracks. But the tracks are downloaded, not ripped frm the disc. Should be like any DLC, though - once initially purchased, you won't need the old discs or codes to re-DL them if need be.


Chances are high very soon that any rental/used copies will have thier "import codes" cashed in already. This is apparently how Activision managed to seemingly easliy get DL rights to disc tracks.
 
1 - 20 of 146 Posts
Top