Relive the passion and suspense as the two-time Academy Award®-winning film GHOST arrives on Blu-ray as part of the Paramount Presents line from Paramount Home Entertainment.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:
Extras:
Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Paramount - 1990
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 126 minutes
Genre: Drama/Romance

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Frehcn/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French
Starring: Patrick Swayze, Demi Moore, Whoopi Goldberg, Tony Goldwyn
Directed by: Jerry Zucker
Music by: Maurice Jarre
Written by: Bruce Joel Rubin
Region Code: A

Release Date: July 21, 2020
"A Love That Will Last Forever"
Synopsis:

“Relive the passion and suspense as the two-time Academy Award®-winning film GHOST arrives on Blu-ray as part of the Paramount Presents line.” – Paramount Home Entertainment

My Take:

I reviewed Ghost when it was initially released on Blu-ray back in 2008. I will include my comments from that review along with new ratings for the video and bonus features.

Sam (Patrick Swayze), living as a ghost, discovers his death wasn’t just a random robbery gone bad. To help him reconnect with the love of his life, Molly (Demi Moore), and solve his own murder, he enlists the talents of a skeptical psychic (Oscar®-winner Whoopi Goldberg), who doesn’t even believe her own abilities.

Ghost is one of those films that you want to watch with your significant other because, at its heart, it is a love story. It does throw in the supernatural and thriller aspects but, they serve to provide the catalyst for Sam’s determination to protect Molly and, ultimately avenge his murder. Whoopi Goldberg can be rather annoying however, her performance in Ghost (for which she earned an Academy Award) came across as genuine and funny.

I have always found Demi Moore to a strong actress and, her emotional turn as the devastated Molly was solid. While I am not a big Patrick Swayze fan, I do feel that his contribution to this film is some of his best work. The three of them combined are at the center of what makes Ghost work. The portion of the story relative to the betrayal, murder and ultimately, Sam’s retribution, felt a little contrived but, as I said that isn’t really the true essence of this film in my opinion. I am sure that there are some who find it a little too sentimentally warm and fuzzy but that’s okay. This is one of those movies that can still be appreciated regardless of the number of years that have passed since its release.

Fans of the film have reason to be excited about this new release that includes newly remastered video from a 4K film transfer supervised by director Jerry Zucker and, collectible packaging that includes a foldout image of the original movie poster and interior artwork featuring key movie moments. Bonus features include a new Filmmaker Focus with Director Zucker, as well as previously released featurettes.
Replay Value:
Parental Guide:

The rating is for sensuality, violence, and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 80
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: 
  • Low frequency effects: 
  • Surround Sound presentation: 
  • Clarity/Detail: 
  • Dialog Reproduction: 
  • DSU/DTS Neural:X Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: 
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail: 
  • Color Reproduction: 
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression: 

Ghost comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel sound.

According to the press documentation I received, Ghost was fully remastered in 4K and presented in 1080p for this 30th anniversary Paramount Presents edition release. Comparing it to the 2008 release the image does appear slightly sharper, with improved color rendering, and overall definition. If I had to summarize it, I would say that this is a pleasing video presentation that seems a perfect match for the source material. Colors are deeply saturated with eye pleasing vitality and delineated depth. Images are resolute, with stable sharpness, crisp detail and appreciable subtle refinement. Certain scenes appear better resolved than others although I suspect this is related to the photography. Contrast is dynamic without being overpowering and blacks are respectable in depth with discernible detail visible in low lighting and shadows. I didn’t see any signs of video related artifacts and thought that in general video quality was excellent.

The lossless audio presentation is solid and renders the source elements with excellent clarity and punchy dynamics. Dialog and front channel imaging is delivered with rich tonal variation and crystal clarity. The surrounds are active at times and are used to good effect for panning effects and music related ambience. The mix isn’t aggressive but does create an enjoyable surround sound experience that mates well with the thematic tone of the film.

Bonus Features:
  • ALL-NEW: Filmmaker Focus – Director Jerry Zucker
  • Legacy Bonus Features
Final Thoughts:

Ghost comes to Blu-ray from Paramount Home Entertainment’s Paramount Presents line featuring beautifully restored video, crystal clear lossless sound and a mix of new and legacy supplements. Diehard fans will probably want to pick this up, but casual viewers, that already own it on Blu-ray, may be content with what they have.
No code has to be inserted here.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman color calibration software and Portrait Displays C6 HDR2000 colorimeter from  Portrait.com )
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Electronic Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV7704 Audio/Video Processor
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3 Seven Channel Amplifier
Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Oppo BDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: Apple iPad/Roomie Remote V6 Universal Remote Control
SVS Ultra Tower Speakers (Gloss Finish)
SVS Ultra Center Channel (Gloss Finish)
SVS Ultra Surrounds (Gloss Finish in Bipolar Configuration)
Dual SVS PC4000 Cylinder Subwoofers
Niles Audio In-Ceiling/In-Wall Series Speakers
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
AC Infinity Aircom T8 Component Cooling Systems