AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you get a ghost when watching TV with your UTV? I noticed a ghost (and a pretty bad one too) that appears whenever a new slow frame, or solid color background comes on. I can see the frames right before the new frame. I don't know if I am being clear, but I hope you get my point.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sounds like an issue with your television or the way you're connecting the UTV to it... Coaxial cables are the worst for bad picture quality and ghosts. Composite video is better. SVideo is much better, component (non avail. on UTV) is better yet.

If you're using a coax cable to hookup your TV, try the composite "video output", or the Svideo out. Makes a huge difference.

If you're already using composite or SVideo, you might have a leak from another signal source messing with your connection... try disconnecting everything but the UTV and the TV ad see if it's still there. Try hooking up a DVD player and pausing, and seeing if you see the same ghosting.

Just my 2 cents and what I'd look for... I'm sure somebody else will have a much better reply http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

RCA UTV

3 Hughes Platinums

Oval dual LNB

Hitachi 53SWX01W 16x9 HDTV

HTPC (in progress)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm curious what you mean by "slow frame"? Were you stepping thru the frames of a recorded movie? Since TV is 30 frames a second and movies are generally 24 frames a second, the process of converting a movie to television can sometimes blend the contents of 2 movie frames to one television frame. This is most noticeable when a scene transition occurs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Using SVideo, not Compsite.

2. Checked everything, otherwise I would not have posted a message on this forum.

3. The ghost I am speaking about is a left over frame. For example, if I am watching X-files and Moulder is talking with Skully, then he looks at Skinner and starts talking with him; the last frame with Skully will be on the tv really light overlapping the frame with Skinner enough to notice it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I presume this is a standard TV and not a HDTV or enhanced picture TV? I've seen some strange artifacts on TV's that come up with enhanced pictures by interpolating extra scan lines.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I once had a similar, though can't say exactly the same, strange video quirk. I recall some bleed through. I shut the machine down, and back up and it disapeared.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I figured; its the machine.

I love my UTV but wish they would have spent more time making sure it worked right and did not have so many little bugs like that.

I don't mind beta testing, but not for $450!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I saw something similar tonight, first time I've seen it. I was watching ER in 'catch-up' mode and when I got to the end of the show by pressing 30-second skip, but before the screen came up to ask me what to do with the show, I switched to a channel. Then, every now and again, the end of the ER recording would appear and disappear. I changed the channel, rewound/ff, started another recording from MyShows, went back to live TV viewing, and it kept coming on. About 1-2 seconds of frames continually 'ghosting' over the current picture. Couldn't get rid of it until I hit the power button on the UTV and then turned it back on. Haven't had it since [1/2 hour or so.]

Very strange, not sure if it is the same situation you are encountering, but "Ghost in the Machine" sounded like what I had !!

------------------

Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.