AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
jsut got a Unity Motion 3200HD, which is the same as the Princeton AF3.0HD. it looks pretty damn good, but when i play movies that are dark there is ghosting when objects that are lit move, has anyone else had this problem? is there anyway to get rid of this? i really hope so, i didnt pay too much for the set but i could have bought a RCA that wouldnt have the ghosting.

also i have a MALATA N996 which will let you switch the output video to a number of diferent choices CVBS Y C (S VIDEO) CVBS Y Pb Pr and a few otehrs, would playig with these help? thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If your monitor has the same tube as the Princeton, what you are seeing is phosphor lag. This tube used the correct SMPTE (non-HD) phosphors which most consumer sets don't. The green in particular has more persistence or lag than is desirable. The tradeoff is more accuracte color. Turn down the Contrast during very dark scenes if it's too objectionable. Also, be sure your color temperature and black level are optimally set both of which will help a little.

Use the YPbPr connection which should give the best horizontal color resolution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS A BUNCH, ill go try that out as soon as i get home. sorry i should have been more specific obout the output settings, i have the display hooked up via Component, but the dvd player actually has scan rate settings which i played with and they didnt make too much of a difference. FYI, have my set adjusted using AVIA and Video Essentials i jsut need to tweak it to get this ghosting down to a minimum jsut for refernce point what do you have your "video settings" at on your monitor. if you dont care copy and paste this with your answers:

Black Level

Contrast

Color YPbPr - could you please explain this setting, i dont have a manual and cant figure out exactly what it does, as none of my other sets have had this feature.

you can either jsut give me a ball park percentage, or a number of clicks from left side of bar or right, just specify so i will know. thanks a bunch for your help

sorry to be so demanding, i hope anyone can help, and maybe this will help someone else out later, i know people are buying these sets with the great prices available now.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I believe your Malata player may output in PAL or NTSC formats (and progressive scan versions of these formats). Since your monitor will sync to multiple scan rates, experiment with different rates but remember to rerun Avia or VE at each scan rate before concluding which is best. Unless you have a color analyzer, you won't be able to dial in the color temperature, but get the basic fiive controls right.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I believe the previous poster knows more about the technical issues of your problem, but here's a ballpark for my settings if it helps (and yes, the Unity Motion and Princeton monitors are IDENTICAL):

Black Level/Brightness -> slightly less than half-way

Contrast -> well under one-quarter

Color YPbPr (Hi-Def inputs) -> about half-way (very small effect)

FWIW, I had to have my "RGB" settings adjusted in the set-up menu (by an ISF-type guy) to get more range out of my color settings (even the NTSC version); I don't know if you're experiencing this phenomena.

This is an excellent monitor with (as was mentioned) better color and even geometry than what's found in the consumer world. It may not be big and flat like the competition, but it doesn't suffer from the distortions and other problems you hear about. In fact, I was once told (by a Princeton person) that they really wanted to use a bigger tube (say 34"), but they just couldn't find one that worked as well as what they ended up with (there were electronics issues also)! It's too bad there will never really be a follow-up "big brother" to this set.

I use almost all the inputs on this set (including a DVD player via RGBHV) and almost all the scan rates (480p/720p/1080i).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.