AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mitsubish WS-55819 RPHDTV. When viewing standard television broadcasts (over cable) I notice a large amount of what I would describe as "ghosting" in high contrast areas (such as the edge of people's faces and the edges of bright text on a dark background or vice versa). The ghosting seems to be the worst on the horizontal axis, and seems to be more pronounced on that axis on the left side of objects as opposed to the right. Is there anything I can do about this?

I have tried personally calibrating the set (convergence).

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I tried this and the ghosting is still there. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Where is your sharpness set? The best compromise position (edge ringing vs. resolution loss) for that set is probably a few ticks below center. For your TV signal you may actually want to set it quite a bit lower than that.

Beyond that you would have to find a calibrator with an "i2c interface" (or build/buy one and do some research!) that can correct edge enhancement on that set. That is if what you are seeing is the normal EE, it could be that there is some other problem as what you describe seems a bit worse than usual.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've done the i2c fix on a couple of mits tvs and the "ghosting" all but disappears on dvd based material and is DRASTICALLY reduced!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know if this is important, but the only place I see this is on certain NTSC broadcast material. DVDs look great. The worse the NTSC picture quality, the more pronounced the effect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.