AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed on DVD only that on graphics there seems to be a slight ghosting effect around all lettering. I am using Sony 9000 in progressive mode but also see it in interlaced. Im using a 25 foot run of "Better cables"

Have I read about this before? Is this "edge enhancement"? It almost seems like a cable shielding fault. Have any of you seen this?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Have any of you seen this?

Yes and it's usually cables or connectors. Try bringing the DVD player close so you can connect a different and shorter cable to your projector. If the "ghosting" disappears you found the cause.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Do a search on image ghosting in this forum, and the DVD Hardware forum and you'll find other posts on this effect. As a part of the digital/analog filtering in some digital projectors, there may be some ghosting of images (I think it's called band ripple or band elimination effect). It is most prominant on sharp, straight lines such as those found in DVD menus. The Sharp 9000 has it and I've seen it on other DLP projectors (the Sim2 and Yamaha come to mind). It seems to be worse on the Sharp when taking a progressive signal into Input 1 or 2. The ghosting is minimized by using an interlaced player into input 1 or 2, or using input 5 (VGA) and bypassing the internal scaler. Of course impedence mismatching of cables and connectors can also cause image ghosting, but assuming your cables are OK, then what you are seeing is probably inherent in the projector.

Corey J

·
Registered
803 Posts
Corey explained well regarding the ringing/EE on Sharp z9000.

Quote:
I am using Sony 9000 in progressive mode but also see it in interlaced
The SONY DVP-S9000ES dvd player is also kown to have severe ringing. It is minimised in interlaced mode to a certain degree, but never goes away.

Also in interlaced mode, SONY 9000ES emphasizes EE, it sometimes drives me nuts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.