Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, and happy holidays,

My dad has a Sony KF-50XBR800 that has been suffering some ghosting problems. Since I am not entirely sure I am using the term "ghosting" correctly, I mean to refer to a seeming focus problem in which the image has a double - it's like all of the images have a shadow image behind them. For instance, when the title of a movie displays, you can see "ghost" letters behind and to the right of each of the letters in the title. I hope that all makes sense.

Anyway, I was hoping to be able to fix it up for him as a Christmas gift. The TV's built in image revision settings do not correct the problem; they only seem to make it worse. I am thinking that I will have to tinker with the service mode settings. Can anyone point in the direction of the particular service mode settings that will address the ghosting issue? (I took at the service mode earlier and the sheer number of settings was pretty overwhelming.) Is there a proper setting that they should be programmed to?

Also, would there be any harm in doing a "reset to factory defaults"? Or would that be a form of television suicide?

Thanks for all of you help, and enjoy the holidays!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
You'll need to find the UMR does GWII thread. He tells how to tune unit. There's also a quick note on the ghosting issue in this thread

How's your GWII doing

Just in case, I have attached the pdf that UMR created a while ago. Note: I'm not responsible if you screw up the set while trying to tune it. It's a good idea to write all the current settings down before making any changes.

To get into the service menu:

Turn off the TV

Use the remote, hit in this order and within 1 second of each other

Display

Vol+

Power (While off)

If the red light comes on and after a flash or two you hear a quiet "click",

your TV should come on shortly with the Green Service Menu codes all over the screen.

If the red light continues to flash, hit the power button again to turn off the TV and start over

To Save Settings Press {Mute - Enter}

Navigating the menu system is done with the following keys:

Up Item Press {1}

Down Item Press {4}

Up Category Press {2}

Down Category Press {5}

Increment Data Press {3}

Decrement Data Press {6}

gwtweak5.2.pdf 470.8955078125k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had this happen to me, on my 60XBR800.

First changed the bulb. No dice.

Adjusting the positions would move it around, and make it better or worse, but never eliminated.

Despite the suggestions in the forum, I could never get it eliminated. Luckily, I had an extented warranty, and they replaced the optical engine. It's better now, but I suspect it won't be forever...

If it was as simple as a service menu change, Sony / Magnolia definitely would not have shelled out the cash for a new light engine.

I'd say try the service menu stuff first by all means...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.