AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started to watch this and I can't believe it's just the same as "Patton!" I coulnd't even finish watching it!

Everything is outlined with EE and everyone looks like a wax figure...no visible grain!!!

Do you think we can expect this film to look that way when it comes out on BD, if and when it comes out?

To show it in HD, did they have to do a HD remaster? And if they did, pity on us.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Just happened to notice that it's on, just checked out and your right. It's as bad if not worse than Patton!!!

Vern

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector /forum/post/14231912

Just started to watch this and I can't believe it's just the same as "Patton!".....

Be specific. What HD channel? What cableco & where?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Southern California in O.C. on HDNMV Time Warner Cable channel 421.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector /forum/post/14232639

Southern California in O.C. on HDNMV Time Warner Cable channel 421.

Thanks, topic title changed.

Now as to your question, in general HDNet does a good job with the HD film transfers they do, but sometimes they will use an existing HD version. In cases like that, the transfer may be considerably less than pristine.

I would strongly hope, and believe, any Blu-ray version gets a dedicated HD transfer.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts

Quote:

Just started to watch this and I can't believe it's just the same as "Patton!" I coulnd't even finish watching it!

Everything is outlined with EE and everyone looks like a wax figure...no visible grain!!!

Do you think we can expect this film to look that way when it comes out on BD, if and when it comes out?

To show it in HD, did they have to do a HD remaster? And if they did, pity on us.

Patton looks very good.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
It's also probably likely that the film elements are in bad shape, making a pristine high definition transfer impossible. This may be as good as it gets, but it's still a great film.

Dennis

·
Registered
28,052 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern dias /forum/post/0

Just happened to notice that it's on, just checked out and your right. It's as bad if not worse than Patton!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by star56 /forum/post/0

Patton looks very good.

Well, that certainly clears that up.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 /forum/post/14233954

Patton looks very good.

Deep denial.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just watched some trailers on HDNet and guess what...the "GIANT" teaser scenes they are showing looks like they were taken from the print used on HDNMV in my first post.

Maybe they use the same print or is HDNet and HDNMV one company?

Whatever the reason, here's two stations that have the same print. That really ups the odds that that is what we'll get when it hits BD...fingers crossed that it doesn't!

·
Banned
3,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector /forum/post/14239534

Just watched some trailers on HDNet and guess what...the "GIANT" teaser scenes they are showing looks like they were taken from the print used on HDNMV in my first post.

Maybe they use the same print or is HDNet and HDNMV one company?

Whatever the reason, here's two stations that have the same print. That really ups the odds that that is what we'll get when it hits BD...fingers crossed that it doesn't!

HDNet and HDNet Movies....same company. (HDNet Inc.)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
There's no way this presentation was OAR. That could have something to do with it. Looked a little zoomed and cropped to me.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin95 /forum/post/14241697

There's no way this presentation was OAR. That could have something to do with it. Looked a little zoomed and cropped to me.

The IMdb entry for "Giant": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049261/technical

Shows the aspect ratio of the film was 1.66:1 which is what it appeared to be on the HDNet-movies showing, I could see some black bars on the left and right side with no overscan which would be expected with that aspect ratio.

I believe this was the 50's "VistaVision" aspect ratio.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin95 /forum/post/14241697

It was the way the characters looked like wax figures. Actually, everything in the film looked like wax!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I also noticed the 1:66 bars as well as the poor overall (for HD) pq on Giant. They've also run Lilies of the Field recently with the same small sidebars but the pq looked better. Their recent airings of Splendor in the Grass look much better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts