AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to purchase a 42" flatscreen for my nephews for the holidays. Nothing special, simple controls a plus. It'll be wall mounted away from prying hands but durability/good service record is a plus. Mostly for SDVD and Wii/PS3 gaming. Average viewing distance is 10-12ft and wall mount is pretty high for safety reasons. Any suggestions with considerations on street pricing as well. thanx in advance. I'd like to get this purchase out of the way tommorow if possible.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
I recommend the TC-42PX24 at Costco, about $450 in-store and online. Panasonics are the most reliable and are more resistant to IR and Burn-In than the other two brands so it's better for gaming.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/19634551

Thanx Randy. Does there happen to be an non-Cosco Panny equivalent?

Not quite - the C2 series is virtually the same as the X24, but the X24 has a pretty good Anti-Reflective filter while the C2 has none whatsoever and is very reflective. I presume the kids would be using this TV at night with the lights on or during the daytime so the lack of an AR Filter might make it difficult to see. The C2 would make a nice cheap bedroom TV for watching in the dark.

Here's the Panasonic lineup from worst to best:

C2 = 720p with No AR Filter

X24 = same as C2 but has an AR Filter

U2 = 1080p with No AR Filter

S2 = virtually the same as U2 but has an AR Filter

G20/G25 = 1080p with Kuro-like AR Filter, a big step up over S2

GT25 = virtually the same as G25 but with 3D capability added

VT20/VT25 = top of the line model, does 3D (the T means 3D)

·
Registered
3,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/19634728

Not quite - the C2 series is virtually the same as the X24, but the X24 has a pretty good Anti-Reflective filter while the C2 has none whatsoever and is very reflective. I presume the kids would be using this TV at night with the lights on or during the daytime so the lack of an AR Filter might make it difficult to see. The C2 would make a nice cheap bedroom TV for watching in the dark.

Here's the Panasonic lineup from worst to best:

C2 = 720p with No AR Filter

X24 = same as C2 but has an AR Filter

U2 = 1080p with No AR Filter

S2 = virtually the same as U2 but has an AR Filter

G20/G25 = 1080p with Kuro-like AR Filter, a big step up over S2

GT25 = virtually the same as G25 but with 3D capability added

VT20/VT25 = top of the line model, does 3D (the T means 3D)

How does color and gamma accuracy compare between the C2, X24, U2 and S2? I would mostly be using this set in a bed for OPPO Blu-ray and Netflix steaming playback.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts