AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my system was running fine when I was running dvi to the TV and the optical spdif from the motherboard directly to my receiver.

But now I upgraded the tv that have HDMI and the spdif optical from the motherboard to the receiver is not working now. This is my setup right now:

Gigabyte 785g running windows 7

The hdmi from the motherboard is connected to my big screen tv

The " spdif out " from the motherboard is connected to my receiver since my receiver does not have hdmi

Under the "Realtek HD Audio Manager" I have the " digital output " of the motherboard as default to the receiver but my receiver only get 2 channels and if I select the "S/pdif pass through mode" my receiver gets no audio at all.

I am not sure what to do now other than drink another beer...lol

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Check playback devices and enable there. Set default and do configure and properties/advanced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the spdif as the default. The spdif output is running to the Marantz receiver and the hdmi from the motherboard is running to the TV.

Am I supposed to check the box that says "S/pdif in and out pass through mode" under the realtek audio manager? or should I unchecked that and select "dolby digital live 5.1" on the same window? when I select the dolby digital 5.1 the center channel works sometimes and most of the dialogue comes from the 2 front speakers

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Do as I do and save the beer for a celebration - there's work to do first :)

It seems the mobo is detecting there is an HDMI TV which forces 2-channel stereo out the HDMI connector... Do you have any HDMI Audio drivers loaded? (You could try disabling the HDMI Audio in your System Devices section.) Check the audio section and see what's connected/configured when you have the TV on (via HDMI) and the Marantz trying to decode SPDIF. I don't think you want to select the SPDIF in passthrough although my Gigabyte 785 doesn't have an IN, just an out. Nor do you want to do the Dolby Digital Live 5.1 if you want the audio to pass unfiltered... what audio ARE you trying to pass? I'm guessing your players are set correctly as "passthrough" or SPDIF as the output because you've been using that, right? Try going into the CCC and have it NOT DETECT the EDID except when forced... it could be detecting the TV each time and then switching the audio over to 2-ch stereo.

What happens when you either 1) turn off the TV, or 2) disconnect the HDMI cable? Does the Marantz get 5.1 again? You may have to reboot (without the HDMI cable) to get the real effect.

As far as DDLive 5.1 I have an Onkyo 803 using HDMI and if I use it the PC wants to encode every sound into 5.1 which is fine... works great... except that when I play a DVD or anything that needs to passthrough it's Digital audio stream (and NOT the encoded one from DD Live) the Onkyo has to 'click' some relays internally for some reason... and I mean EVERY time... say a commercial comes on, click, back to the show, click... leaving the DDLive disengaged allows PCM (2-channel audio) to pass when there's no 5.1 and the Onkyo no longer clicks - it's quiet and who needs the PC's beeps to be in 5.1 anyway??? OK, I suppose for stereo gamers, but we're using HTPC not gaming here :)

Not sure which 785G mobo you're using but there's a long thread on the GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AMD 785G Chipset Motherboard you may find helpful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the hdmi drivers loaded so I disabled them in the device manager uder the sound controller section and left the Realtek high definition audio enable. In regards of the Spdif passthrough I was not sure if I needed to enable that.

My question is: How do I know my audio is been sent unfilter to my Marantz receiver? The only options I see under the Realtek manager is the Spdif passthrough(which the marantz receiver can't get a signal) or to select default sound from 16, 24 bits or the dolby dgital live 5.1. (which my receiver detects the audio but sometimes only 2 channels )

I have the 785GMT-UD2H with a Blu-Ray drive using the onboard video and onboard sound. At the moment I am running DVD-RIPS and some HD RIPS.

What do you mean when you say to check under the "CCC"?

I am going to connect a monitor to the htpc to see how it reacts when HDMI is not been use. Thanks for all the suggestions, I will skip the beer this time...lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.