AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rarely read or post in this part of the forum, but I felt I should pass on my recent experience.

I just built a rig with the new Gigabyte GV-NX85T256H GeForce 8500 GT 256MB PCI Express Video Card . It is unique in that it is the only currently-made 8500 GT card with HDCP. It is also unique in that it is PASSIVELY COOLED! Oh yeah, it's DX10 too.

Very cheap too - around $100.

The main thing I am blown away by is the full hardware H.264 decoding. For example, playing the 1080p Quicktime trailers is stunning - I have never seen such perfect video before (I am connected to a Dell 2007 WFP). It supports the 30" widescreen native panel resolution as well on DVI, which is a purchase I have been contemplating. 2560x1600.

This could be a really great card for a media HTPC. Probably not super great for gaming though.

I am seriously tempted to drop in a combo HD-DVD Bluray drive when they are released.

I hope this thread can help someone who might have been eyeing this card and wondering about it.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
These are by far the best bang for your buck for HTPC use at the moment. I recommend the 8500's to pretty much anyone looking to build a new HTPC for cheap (in combo with a C2D).

As you mentioned though, no, it's really not good for gaming. Especially if you are intending to run it at 2560x1600, then you really need to get an 8800 series.

On a side note, this thread is really more media related. Did you notice there is a huge HTPC forum (as opposed to the gaming forums)?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.