AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this video card and I haven't been able to get the stuttering out when playing Blu-Ray movies. I have 4 GB of ram and an E6750 C2D CPU on a Foxconn P35A-S motherboard. My previous HIS fanless 3650 ran so smooth. I am using PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra/Deluxe. Does anyone have the Gigabyte fanless 4550 running smoothly? If so, what version of the catalyst drivers are you using? I have tried 8.9 - 8.12 and the stuttering happened with all of these drivers.

Thanks,

Dan

I am using the native HDMI out (with 7.1 audio) at 1080i.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have the Gigabyte HD4550 (latest Catalyst drivers) and it plays Blu-rays smoothly at 1080/24p + 5.1 over HDMI but I use Arcsoft TMT & Reclock on my system.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Have you not tried the drivers that came on the disc? I haven't tried blu-ray yet, but everything else(x264, VC1, MPEG2) seems to work perfectly with those drivers. In fact, I can't even install 8.12 without BSOD's from ATIKMDAG errors.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't install the drivers from the disc. That was my next step. Now, I just need to find the damn disc!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchewd /forum/post/15591788

I didn't install the drivers from the disc. That was my next step. Now, I just need to find the damn disc!!!!

Surely you can downloaded these from the manufacturer's website.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm planning to pick up this card (or possibly the Force3D fanless 4550) and was just wondering if you guys could give me an idea of how hot it runs for you? What sort of fans do you have in your setup?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartin22 /forum/post/15592333

Surely you can downloaded these from the manufacturer's website.

Actually, the drivers on Gigabyte's website are not the same as on the disc it came with. What's worse is that I've done testing with both versions and only the drivers on the disc allow for the advanced post-processing options that we all bought this card for.

·
Registered
325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric_Margiotta /forum/post/15592460

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm planning to pick up this card (or possibly the Force3D fanless 4550) and was just wondering if you guys could give me an idea of how hot it runs for you? What sort of fans do you have in your setup?

Many thanks!

Originally I had to adjust my CnQ power settings upwards, because it throttled back too much while using VMC causing stuttering while navigating the menu and watching video at the same time. With the HD 4550 I can let CnQ just do it's thing and throttle back my CPU to 1 GHz when it wants to with no issues in VMC ever. Heat-wise, I'm better off now than when I was using my 780G motherboard's IGP. I only have one small 60 mm intake fan in the back of my case and an 80 mm fan on my ninja mini CPU cooler blowing towards the graphics card. Unusual, I know, but it works just fine.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I found my disc. Everything in HD ran smoothly. I clicked on the ATI Overdrive tab in the CCC and hit auto-tune, thinking it would help. After it was done, I tried some Blu-Ray scenes and got stuttering. I set the Overdrive back to the original settings and it is running smooth again. If you have stuttering, you might make sure ATI Overdrive isn't enabled or click the auto-tune button!

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakerx /forum/post/15585524

Have you not tried the drivers that came on the disc? I haven't tried blu-ray yet, but everything else(x264, VC1, MPEG2) seems to work perfectly with those drivers. In fact, I can't even install 8.12 without BSOD's from ATIKMDAG errors.

Just so it's stated.....those drivers do _not_ give you BSODs. Correct?

I'm getting ready to try them as I'm having the same problem as h8redv2 is having here and your post gives me hope.

·
Registered
325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fam Money /forum/post/15607668

Just so it's stated.....those drivers do _not_ give you BSODs. Correct?

I can say that it's a qualified "yes". When I first installed the card I had flawless performance for the most part, but I did have the occasional BSOD due to ATIKMDAG errors. Maybe once a week. I played around with the other driver versions, found they were way worse in both performance and stability, then switched back to the drivers on the disc that the card came with. Ever since, I guess almost two weeks now, I haven't had a single problem. I put the HTPC into S3 sleep and resume it multiple times a day and even have it waking up unattended at night to record Conan O'Brien. I think I may have just had a hinky installation first time around. My system:

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H v 1.0 mobo (F3 BIOS)

Athlon BE 5000+ CPU

Corsair 2x1GB PC6400C4 DDR2 800 RAM

Avermedia Combo PCIe ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuner (with .30 beta drivers)

Gigabyte HD 4550 video card

Windows Vista x86 SP1

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't had any sleep problems, but I do have an annoying problem with PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra. When I watch a Blu-Ray disc, it defaults to xxxx2.0. I have to go into the audio options and change it from PCM to AC3/DTS and then back to PCM and it then says xxxx5.1 (any hi-res Dolby or DTS format).

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't worry about hijacking this thread. Any discussion on this card is welcome in this thread. No BSOD or green screens, just the annoying PDVD issue with this driver.

·
Registered
8 Posts
how come the drivers and utilities on the disc come with different functions than those downloadable from the website? that's very confusing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi guys!

I have a HP slimline s3750t with a Geforce 9500GS inside. I don't like the 9500GS because the fan is kind of noisy and whenever I start the computer it shows vertical stripes and low resolution; then after restart everything looks fine. Anyhow I little upgrade wouldn't hurt too.

I would buy the Geforce 9500GT since it has good reviews in terms of performance, but on the other hand I would prefer the ATI 4550 fanless because it brings no noise. Since I am interested in eliminating as much as possible the fans from my system I don't want to buy a fanless card and then add a case fan. So what do you think: should I buy the 4550 fanless or it overheats and will require additional cooling? I should mention that I sent back to HP the internal tuner since it was overheating a lot and I am using an external one now, so the graphic card has enough room around it.

I saw the Sapphire 512MB HD4550 on Newegg and it's tempting me. Any input!? Thanks!

·
Registered
492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocacola99 /forum/post/15840725

how come the drivers and utilities on the disc come with different functions than those downloadable from the website? that's very confusing.

The Catalyst 9.2 drivers work well.

Also don't OC your 4550. There's no reason to do so. It's like supercharging the scooters in a nursing home.

·
Registered
492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliric /forum/post/15894289

Hi guys!

I have a HP slimline s3750t with a Geforce 9500GS inside. I don't like the 9500GS because the fan is kind of noisy and whenever I start the computer it shows vertical stripes and low resolution; then after restart everything looks fine. Anyhow I little upgrade wouldn't hurt too.

I would buy the Geforce 9500GT since it has good reviews in terms of performance, but on the other hand I would prefer the ATI 4550 fanless because it brings no noise. Since I am interested in eliminating as much as possible the fans from my system I don't want to buy a fanless card and then add a case fan. So what do you think: should I buy the 4550 fanless or it overheats and will require additional cooling? I should mention that I sent back to HP the internal tuner since it was overheating a lot and I am using an external one now, so the graphic card has enough room around it.

I saw the Sapphire 512MB HD4550 on Newegg and it's tempting me. Any input!? Thanks!

Sorry for the double

When I went from a fanless 7300GT to the 4550 with a fan, i didn't notice any increase in noise. If anything your PSU's fan would probably drown out the video card fan noise. Ever still, You should be fine with either the fanless Gigabyte or the Sapphire card.

Edit: I cracked open the case today and realized I was mistaken. the video card's fan is by far the loudest fan in the case. Definitely go with the fanless option. The gigabyte seems like the better option, especially if graphics card is directly adjacent to another for heat dissipation (because the heatsink seems beefier)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts