AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Because of the noise level of the Intel stock cooler, I would like to know what - you guys - are using for CPU cooling?

I wanted to go for the Thermalright AXP-140, but it does not fit in my case (antec NSK2480).

thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm using the stock Intel fan on my E8500. The fan is very quiet and I have no complaints.

Nice board although I probably need to add another Nvidia card and enable SLI.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
E7300 with Intel stock cooler. Not whisper quiet - and may consider replacing it soon. I have a Silverstonetek Grandia GD02 case which mounts the optical drive above the CPU - so I may replace with the Silverstonetek NT-01E designed specifically for the case I have. It's passive but mounts the cooling fins close to the main case fans - which in-turn I may replace with Noctuas.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mini Ninja for me too. In an nMedia 1000B case. Had to remove the top decorative nuts & glue for it to fit, but once it was in I was surprised and pleased that it keeps the E8400 temp between 38 and 43.

But, I'm going to try one more time to place an internal fan to blow around the northbridge cooler, it seems to sit around 75 most of the time which is higher than I'd like it to be (but maybe not really a concern anyway).

If that doesn't work out I'll drop in a Shuriken. (this board, like many others, is designed on the assumption that the CPU cooler will be a top-down air-flow type, so the northbridge cooler/mosfets/etc also benefit from the air blowing around)

g.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've got it in a Lian Li C37. So far so good. Really quiet and temps stay just over 40 playing BD using TMT.

Some users are apparently flipping the fan over to blow in rather than out to cool the northbridge a bit but I haven't tried that.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vblanche /forum/post/15530637

Hi,

Because of the noise level of the Intel stock cooler, I would like to know what - you guys - are using for CPU cooling?

I wanted to go for the Thermalright AXP-140, but it does not fit in my case (antec NSK2480).

thanks

I'm about to put together my new system and the Scythe Ninja Mini was the first thing on my list after the NSK2480. They were pretty much made for each other. The placement of fans in the case typically allow the "Minja" to be fanless.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi Country Bumkin

I see you have put together a Origenae S16, you you be kind enough to give me any tips and snags that you overcame as I'm about to put together my S16 Mainly for general media use ( Blue-Ray) occasional games... still not sure which CPU cooler to use due to 140mm of headroom.

Gig' EX58-UD5, i7 CPU, Pioneer S02BK, Spinpoint F1 1Tb, Enermax modular 750w, Logitech mini keyboard, ATI 4850 Toxic,

Regards LPT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts