AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to buy parts for my media server and looking at the GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3H as per the guide.

I plan to use the 6 on board SATA ports with 1.5 TB drives and probably something like UNRAID, I have no need for HW RAID. This system will only serve music and video. I see that add in RAID cards are suggested and none of the on board SATA is used. Is there some reason the on board ports should not be used ?

TIA...

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I didn't listen to the advice from this forum about going with hardware based RAID, so I built my first HTPC around the on-board ICH10R controller (I didn't think I'd ever fill three 1TB drives, plus I wanted to save some money). Well, I filled the three 1TB drives quickly and then discovered the on-board contoller doesn't allow for expansion (adding another HD) without destroying the array (data).

Learning my lesson, I just went out and bought a 3Ware 9650SE (card based controller) and now I am in the process of copying over every movie again. I expect/hope this will be the last time I have to copy/rip my collection. At least I don't have to worry about adding more drives in the future (the HW controller allows for on-line expansion), or moving my array to a new motherboard/platform when better MB technology comes out, or if my MB craps out.

Good luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin /forum/post/15425764

I didn't listen to the advice from this forum about going with hardware based RAID, so I built my first HTPC around the on-board ICH10R controller (I didn't think I'd ever fill three 1TB drives, plus I wanted to save some money). Well, I filled the three 1TB drives quickly and then discovered the on-board contoller doesn't allow for expansion (adding another HD) without destroying the array (data).

Learning my lesson, I just went out and bought a 3Ware 9650SE (card based controller) and now I am in the process of copying over every movie again. I expect/hope this will be the last time I have to copy/rip my collection. At least I don't have to worry about adding more drives in the future (the HW controller allows for on-line expansion), or moving my array to a new motherboard/platform when better MB technology comes out, or if my MB craps out.

Good luck.

I know the on board RAID controller is lacking, but I have no intention of using it's RAID functions. I'm still researching which SW stack to use for the RAID functions. I did find "VST pro 2008" (found it too late
) which did everything you could ask for but Ciprico went bankrupt and we can't buy this anymore. I will be buying the HW soon and 4 1.5 TB drives to start with as per Renethx's guide (but no RAID cards) and start testing the different solutions, of course the most important as you pointed out is OCE.

We have the Linux variants, unRAID, FlexRAID and Veritas Storage Foundation Basic to name some options.

Amazingly, Veritas is FREE !. http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/en...2007.en-us.pdf and very powerful.

I intend to stick to SW only RAID so I can easily migrate and not worry about being tied to any specific HW.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.