AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased a lite-on blue ray player and GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H (and reused the rest of my components) to attempt a HTPC for cheap dvd and Blue ray playback because i sold my xbox and dont have a stand alone dvd player

i can never seem to get the video from the PC to go right to the edges of my 32" olivia lcd, its always slightly over the edges, and text on windows looks wierd. can anyone tell me the settings to use with this motherboard? it did this with my old nvidia 7200gs card too and i never got around to fixing it

also i have a athlon single core 3500+ and 1 stick of ddr2 1gb, the motherboard manual suggests a 4200+ dual core and 2x1gb i think for best blue ray playback, is there a good chance i will have problems?

thanks

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have an Olevia 232V with a native resolution of 1366x768. I don't typically have the HTPC connected to it, but I have tested it out.

Using the VGA port, I'd feed it a 1360x768 signal and it would be slightly underscanned as expected. Text was sharp and proper.

You need to make sure you have the set in 1:1 mode, and turn off the cropping function.

You haven't specified what model you are using.

Hope that helps,

Carl.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm in the process of building a HTPC with the same motherboard. I have the Athlon XP Dual Core e4850 CPU and 4GB DDR800 memory. I have the BenQ W500 projector that I'll be using with this. The projector will accept 1280 X 720 over HDMI. I have connected my projector to my other PC which has a single core Athlon 4000+ with a Nvidia 6600GT based video card. DVD's look great and using the D-sub I think I'm getting a bit of overscan but it's not noticeable. I'll have my HTPC ready in a day or two so I can let you kow of my results then. SD DVD looks so good I'm not going to bother with BluRay until the price comes way down. Right now the BluRay media is also too expensive I think so I'm waiting. I was watching a demo of WMVHD and it looks fantastic.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I had the exact opposite problem with mine. There is an overscan and underscan slider in the ATI CCC you can use to fix the problem.
Look under the DTV options I believe.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibroni /forum/post/14244756

I'm in the process of building a HTPC with the same motherboard. I have the Athlon XP Dual Core e4850 CPU and 4GB DDR800 memory. I have the BenQ W500 projector that I'll be using with this. The projector will accept 1280 X 720 over HDMI. I have connected my projector to my other PC which has a single core Athlon 4000+ with a Nvidia 6600GT based video card. DVD's look great and using the D-sub I think I'm getting a bit of overscan but it's not noticeable. I'll have my HTPC ready in a day or two so I can let you kow of my results then. SD DVD looks so good I'm not going to bother with BluRay until the price comes way down. Right now the BluRay media is also too expensive I think so I'm waiting. I was watching a demo of WMVHD and it looks fantastic.

blue ray drives are only $109 on newegg, and you can rent them on netflix thats why i decided to get one. i dont see what your reply has to do with anything though, your projector uses a pretty standard res of 1280x720, im havin issues with a 32" lcd

·
Registered
520 Posts
ATI Catalyst Control Center has an advanced tab that let's you set custom resolutions. I have a 1366x768 42" Panny and the resolution that worked for me 1248 X 700. Don't ask me why it works. I got this info from another forum member. Hope it helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts