AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm beginning to think I have a bad MOBO for my HTPC I'm building. It is a Gigabyte EP35-DS3R.

I have another post about not getting sound.

Also, I am having problems waking the system after putting to sleep. When I wake it, the fans come on, the power light comes on, the disk light flashes a couple times, then nothing on screen.

Pressing various buttons on the VMC remote does nothing.

I end up having to hard power down, then the Windows boots up like I hard closed it, and I have to select Start Windows Normally.

I am running Vista Ultimate; have tried 2 different video cards, but both are ATI 3650 based; Tried drivers 8.45 and 8.6 (although when installed they report as 8.51, or somethign like that); I have tried updating the Bios. No joy.

Oh, I've also installed MCE Standby, and tried Away Mode disabled. And Hibernate is disabled.

On the sound, per the other post, all reports as active, but i get no sound to headphone, speakers, or SPD/IF. I've updated drivers on that too.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, but I plan to. At the moment, I'm just connecting to an older flat screen, with an RGB adapter to the DVI port.

I'll check out that thread.

Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewingr /forum/post/14239789

No, but I plan to. At the moment, I'm just connecting to an older flat screen, with an RGB adapter to the DVI port.

I'll check out that thread.

Thanks

Hi Ewingr,

I'm running EP35-DS3R as well and don't have the problems you mention with sound or video after recovering from sleep state. The only thing I have not managed to get working is to be able to wake on lan with a magic packet on the built in ethernet.

Only suggestions I can make:

1. You might check out in the advanced power settings to not use allow hybrid sleep.

2. You might want to set the hard disks to sleep a few minutes before the system sleep.

3. Not sure if you are using any of the Gigabyte utilties for energy savings or processor speeding up. I did not do much research, but when I tried using them I had issues. Rather than fight them I just uninstalled them.

4. Do you have a keyboard attached? I am wondering if waking from the keyboard rather than the IR might be an issue. If it is, maybe changing the USB selective suspend settings might be of help.

5. Not sure, but perhaps the PCI Express power state settings might be an issue. You might want to fiddle with that.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI

Thanks for the suggestions! A couple I have tried, others not.

But, as I was running short on time for return, I have sent it back to Newegg for a replacement. The sound, in particular, I feel was an issue with the MOBO. All drivers were installed, and listed as operational, but nothing would give sound.

On the sleep, I found a thread on the Australian forum for Windows Media Player, speaking about issues with sleep based on the ATI 3650. I don't remember off the top of my head the specific techinical description, but basically, they said that the ATI wasn't doing a wake up for the video. They have been fixing the problem by using a remote or some process to call a program that sends out the wakeup. I tried it and it didn't work for me. [EDIT] Here's the post

So, anyway, I have a new MOBO (same model) coming, and I also sent back the 3650 and am getting an NVidia based card. We'll see what happens, and if still problematic, I'll be pursuing some of your other suggestions.

I'll post back on progress. It'll probably be well into next week, or a little later, by the time I get it here, and get it installed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Good luck with the replacement board Roger. I am using an Nvidia 8500GT and it wakes up just fine.

For the Realtek sound driver I am using driver version 6.0.1.5618 dated 5/7/2008. I am using analog out and have never had a problem upon sleep/wake.

Best regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the new MOBO, and exchanged the Asus ATI 3650 for an ASUS Nvidia EN 8600GT Magic.

Same problems, for the most part. Actually, on the video what happens when I put it to sleep, then wake it, is it reboots. Then the Windows Select Start Normally window comes up. SAme thing whether I hook the flat screen RGB monitor direct to the RGB port, or the DVI with an adapter. Not at all sure the Vid card has anything to do with my problem at this point. Although, since exchanging the card, I have also found threads about the NVidia having problems waking from sleep, just like the ATI 3650.

I'm about to wipe the drive, and start with a completely fresh install of Vista. I've spent quite a bit of time installing stuff. Sigh...

If any other thoughts, I'm very interested in hearing them.

[EDIT]

I may have made progress on the reboot after sleep. I had it do a dump, and it was referencing a driver for he MyHD 120 Card. I took it out and sleeping is working, at least for now.

And, now I also have fixed the sound. I had noticed an AsusTEK Virtual HD Capture Device in my Device Manager for Sound, Video and Game Controllers. I removed that. I then uninstalled all sound drivers (reverted back to MS). Rebooted. Reinstalled REaltek drivers, and now I have sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts