AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, once again I have to fess up. My name is Bob and I am a Girder dummy. I just got my IRMan, and I had hoped for some decent documentation, but alas, the small pamphlet barely even mentioned Girder, other than to say you might want to install it. So far I haven't found much info on using Girder, nor do I have a clue on what to do to set up my Pronto to work with it. After talking with a few others in this forum, I have discovered that I am not the only dummy, and we as a group don't wish to embarass ourselves by admitting publicly our deficiency. So I have volunteered to humiliate myself for the good of others (oh yeah, and for me, too) and beg for help in using this combination of hardware. So if there is a compassionate soul among the knowledgeable, would you you please enlighten us (err...I mean me) as to how to get started? Please treat me like the dummy that I am, starting with simple things like:

1. Install IRMan server

2. Install Girder

3. Plug IRMan into open serial port

etc.

Or, as an alternative, if this information is well documented elsewhere (in Dummy format), please point me to it and I will simply hang my head in shame and move on with my education. I would certainly appreciate all the help I can get :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Bob!

(Just like the opening/greeting line at AA meetings, I think it's important to "fess up", admit our ignorance and ask for help from our friends.)

My name is John.

I am also an IR/Girder dummy.

And I need your help too.

·
Registered
219 Posts
LOL!! :D

I must confess too. I just received my IRman 2 days ago and I too am a Girder dummy! We can get through this together, its all about small steps!

Have you went through the weak tutorial that comes in the Girder Help file? I would suggest starting there. Don't even try to use IRman and the Pronto just yet. Start with simple keystrokes doing automated tasks...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Oh, you don't have to install any software other than Girder to get the IRman to work. Just make sure that you have IRman selected as your input device and set to the right com port. You must have IRman highlighted in the plugin tab for the settings radio button to undim. It took me about 20 minutes to figure this out!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am in the same boat! My Irman will arrive in a couple of weeks so I was wondering how do you get a Marantz RC 2000 MKII to know all the commands? I don't want step by step instructions on how to do it I just want to understand the principal. If someone asked me how to program my Marantz, I would tell them to point the remotes at each other and push play on the Marantz and then push play on the original remote and the Marantz has learnt the command. I just dont understand how to get the commands into the Marantz.

Phill

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi ugg,

You don't have to get the commands INTO the Marantz remote. You can use any key on the remote which already has an ir code already on it and then associate THAT ir code with the command you have programmed in Girder. Girder will associate THAT ir code to whatever pc command that you tell it to. The difficult part is setting up Girder so that commands work properly with the application you want to control. You can import some of preconfigured profiles such as for WinDVD from the Girder web site, open up the WinDVD tree and associate any ir code you have to the various commands for WinDVD.

Rick

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
ugg,

I have a Marantz RC2000 (the original version).

I have a girder file for controlling the Hipix with my Marantz as well as one for controlling the new TheaterTek DVD player.

If you need some help with it, just give a holler.

Joe

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Hey, I'm glad to see you started this thread Bob.

I got my IRMan to work as far as trying some of the original software plugins - like for turning off the computer by a remote button (which is a cool thing for sure). I just haven't figured out learning a command in Girder. It seems that oce I do, like for turning on WinAmp, for example, it keeps turning on WinAmp by itself without me ever hitting the remote key. Any mouse drag even brings it up. I had to innactivate the key command to stop it.

I too am using a RC2000MKII remote.

Carey

·
Registered
219 Posts
Carey P-

You most likey taught girder the mouse IR rather then the code from the remote. If you have the airboard like I do, you must be careful of this. I've done it several times. Notice in the bottom left corner of girder there is a message "Waiting for IR" and "Captured IR" when you press learn. By watching this message, you can deduce what code you are teaching girder.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I just found that out before. I have to hit the "Learn" button very quickly. It may be that increasing that delay number (from 0) helps too but that may be for something else.

What I would like to know from you Girder geniuses, is how to make Girder come up so it's ready for commands. I imagine you have to set it to automatically open the GIR file or some plugin or whatever. What's the secret? I just want it to be ready to go on bootup and not have to do anything.

Joe Q,

I hope someone is planning to post the TT Girder plugin somewhere. Not that I need it yet ,of course ;).

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Carey P
IJoe Q,

I hope someone is planning to post the TT Girder plugin somewhere. Not that I need it yet ,of course ;).
Carey,

I think Andrew is going to include either my or Jeff's Girder .Gir file and Wayne's Pronto ccf file on the CD with TT.

If not, the .gir file will be posted on the Girder web site or my own ftp site.

Joe

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Carey,

In Girder go to File | Settings and you can tell it to auto load a file. You can also have it automatically minimize to the system tray and automatically enable the input plugins on start up. There's even an option to have it start automatically with Windows.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Jeff,

Thanks! It's working now. I didn't realize that's what the Auto Load was all about.

Now, if you can be so kind to tell me how you erase a Learned code, without rewriting a new code over it :rolleyes:.

Otherwise, I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Carey

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Carey P
Now, if you can be so kind to tell me how you erase a Learned code, without rewriting a new code over it :rolleyes:.
No problem. Just right-click on the command and select 'Clear Event Strings'

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Thanks again! I thought for sure I had tried that. Now I do feel like a dummy. -Carey

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Bob, Carey,

I too am a girder dummy. My Pronto will be in next week so i can't wait to have my HTPC automated with my Home Theater. Don't worry guys, i will be all over this thread next week! In the meantime, this will give you guys a chance to master Girder and hopefully give me a few pointers in the process when the time comes:)

The only difference with me is that i don't have IRMan but will rely on my Airboard and it's IR receiver to learn the codes. I hope this will work. Are there problem with this combo? There must be since people with Airboards are still using IRMan to learn the codes. I don't see why one would ABSOLUTELY need IRMan but i will soon find out.

·
Registered
219 Posts
power-

The airboard receiver will only accept IR that is associated with the Keyboard. All other IR is filtered out. This means that you can only use hot keys to drive girder and can get messy. If you only have a couple of programs that you wish to use, this is probably fine.

With IRman you can use any IR to drive Girder. This lends itself to better organization. Especially if you use RC5 codes in the pronto. Do a search for RC5 and I think you will gain an understanding of how tidy it can be.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Jeff,

Maybe I have a different version (It's 3.0x?), but right clicking on the command only allows me to delete the command, among other things. None of which are 'Clear Event Strings.' I thought I checked this before ;). Am I right-clicking in the wrong place?

-Carey

·
Registered
855 Posts
Carey -

I'm using 3.0.23 pre3 and when I right click on a command that has an event string associated with it, the next to the last entry in the list is "Clear Event String". Which Girder version are you using?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Huck,

I'm using 3.021 pre3. You think that's it? You'd think they would have had this feature for a while. I'll check for an upgrade. Thanks. -Carey

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.