AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,296 Posts
there was no nag or spyware included in the free versions of girder

the last free version was a beta

it was 3.29b

and I do have a copy which works perfectly fine for everything I used it for in the past


every site that had girder 3.29b on it for download, does not anymore

even the foriegn sites

or maybe you can still find one
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,533 Posts
Have you checked the Girder forums? Possibly someone there can tell you where to find the last free copy, or if they still offer it for download at all.


-Suntan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
913 Posts
pay for it, it's worth it. not to mention, your going to need the support of the forum to get anything done..and the forum is very well run. the support is superlative, with support team members promptly responding intellligently to most queries...it's worth the price just to keep the support forum running.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
Try some p2p network. Personally I think what they did was greedy. I mean, most of the functionality of Girder 3.3 was in the form of plugins written by others. Then you have to script it yourself to make it do anything. Once the name had spread enough and people were dependant on what they thought was free, they slapped a 30 day trial period on it and cleaned the web of old versions. These days they even require plugin-writers to turn over all rights of their work to Promixis. They're trying to lock people down and profit on something that was a community effort.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by arca
Try some p2p network. Personally I think what they did was greedy. I mean, most of the functionality of Girder 3.3 was in the form of plugins written by others. Then you have to script it yourself to make it do anything. Once the name had spread enough and people were dependant on what they thought was free, they slapped a 30 day trial period on it and cleaned the web of old versions. These days they even require plugin-writers to turn over all rights of their work to Promixis. They're trying to lock people down and profit on something that was a community effort.
This is what bothers me about it. DVD Fab did this. EasyVCD did this. And many other community developed and tested software projects did this.


I recognize that GIrder is well respected and currently well supported, but the least they could do to recognize the grass roots development and beta testing would be to let the last free version continue to circulate on the web. THe final free versions of the other projects I mentioned are still available on the web.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,052 Posts
Rgb;

I can email it to you if you want. I have been using the free 3.2.9 ("About" does not mention anything about Beta, though).

Just pm me.

____

Axel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,130 Posts
Have they fixed any of the old issues (namely usability) or did they just add a bunch of crap to it? I've been running 3.2.9b on my HTPC since that version came out, and while I'm not opposed to paying for the new version, last time I installed it, it looked like they just added a bunch of fluff to it.


Personally I'd rather put my money toward a USB-UIRT than Girder (especially considering the UIRT would eliminate my need for Girder).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Personally I'd rather put my money toward a USB-UIRT than Girder (especially considering the UIRT would eliminate my need for Girder).
How's that?


As far as I can tell, the USB-UIRT is pretty useless without Girder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTAnderson
How's that?


As far as I can tell, the USB-UIRT is pretty useless without Girder.
The UIRT is supported Natively in SageTV, which is all I use Girder for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb
I would like to try it without nags for several months.
The latest version of Girder, version 4 is currently in beta. This is a MAJOR upgrade from Girder 3, I think you might be pleasantly surprised. The beta has a 60 trial period, so you can do extensive testing. One of the main focus points during the development was the user experience. You'll see this reflected in the new User Interface and the manual.


Here are some screenshots for your enjoyment.
http://www.promixis.com/products.php...derscreenshots
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top