AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! This is my first attempt at HT stuff.

I have a pioneer amp and my brother in law have me his old RTi8 speakers. When I try to connect the speakers to the Pioneer, I found this, see pic
[img=http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/4107/avssb0.jpg]

Now, I don't know which one to connect the wire to!? I know the basics L and R connection for speakers on the Pioneer but this got me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance,

-Brooks

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Looks like those connections on the speaker are to allow you to do what's called biwiring or biamping (not really important for the moment) by removing the connection that serves as a bridge from the lower terminals to the upper. In other words, there ought to be two metal pieces that runs vertically connecting both terminals. If that's the case, it doesn't matter whether you use the upper or lower ones.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
The gold straps that go between the two red and two black binding posts are bridge straps. These are there so that if you wanted to, you could remove them and run separate wires from your amp to the separate red/black pairs, or even use separate amps to power the high and low frequency drivers of the speaker. When using one set of wires/amps they need to be tight under the pair of posts not getting powered directly and also tight on the set with the wires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys (all guys, right?)

So I should not remove the metal bridge and connect the wire to either set of terminals, because I only have one amp?!

Now I have to mope and find out what timbre matching is all about for the rest of the speakers, if I could find one.

Again, thanks for the informative answers, Chu and Barry.

-Brooks

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Yes, all guys except for the crossdressers and the pre-op transgenders. Leave the metal bridge and make your connection to either the top or bottom set of terminals. Identical results either way. That was very nice of your brother-in-law. Did he give you a pair or more?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To Chugai:

Yeah, he gave me those RTi8s and some Sony bookshelf speakers (which I am planning to use for surrounds). I bought the Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K from Crrcuit City store closing and it's a 7.1(meaning front L & R, rear L & R, Center, Sub, and wherever else I have no idea?!) I am still learning how to connect the speaker wires and not screw it up and burn something

At this point, mmiles can come in and help with installations!
but picture I.D. and background clearance required

Could you guys give advice on a decent sub, center and even surrounds for under $1000?

Thanks,

Brooks

·
Registered
77 Posts
You might want to look at Polk surrounds and a center channel on their E-Bay store, for a better chance at timbre matched speakers. They are mostly factory re-furbished speakers and they should work fine. The RTi-8 is an older Polk model and you might be able to find the matching center and surrounds at that store.

As far as a sub goes, you might want to post your room dimensions, listening preferences, and what the sub would mostly be used for(ie: movies, music, gaming) in the sub forum here.

Mark

·
Registered
355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISREGIT /forum/post/15451209

To Chugai:

Yeah, he gave me those RTi8s and some Sony bookshelf speakers (which I am planning to use for surrounds). I bought the Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K from Crrcuit City store closing and it's a 7.1(meaning front L & R, rear L & R, Center, Sub, and wherever else I have no idea?!) I am still learning how to connect the speaker wires and not screw it up and burn something

At this point, mmiles can come in and help with installations!
but picture I.D. and background clearance required

Could you guys give advice on a decent sub, center and even surrounds for under $1000?

Thanks,

Brooks

Are your RTi8's cherry or black? Your matching speakers should have the same finish, however both finishes are not equally available from the suppliers since the RTi8's are discontinued.

One place to check for matching surround speakers is Crutchfield. They have compatible RTi4 bookshelf speakers available in either cherry or black.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RTI4...owAll=N&tp=186
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RTI4...owAll=N&tp=186

A matching center CSi3 in black is available through Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Cen...040526&sr=1-26

The cherry version of the CSi3 is available at JR with limited quantities.
http://www.jr.com/polk-audio/pe/POK_CSI3_hy_CH/

If they sell out, an alternative is to purchase a new CSiA4, but the price will be much higher and the design will be close but not match exactly. The sound will be compatible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, thank you(s) for the quick replies! I am still up messing with the installation believe it or not

To answer some of the questions:

I have a fairly opened living room that connects openly to the kitchen, approx. size for just the living room part is 22' by 18' rectangularly. I am going to buy a shelf or something to section off the connection between the living room so that I can maybe place a speaker on there or something.

Mostly, this whole setup will be mainly for movies and HD satellite stuff.

The Rti8s are in cherry finish so I will try to find the same color for the surrounds. I'm I correct when I try to ones with names like RTi something to timbre match the RTi8s that I have and/or the center as CSi something?

The POLK AUDIO CSi3 is a rarity now, cherry colored is even harder to find now in google

So is there an alternative for the center that would not sound "funny" when paired with the Rti8s?

Thank you all for your kind help so far.

-Brooks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/15457002

Says sold out now at JR.

It seems I am too late again.
I guess I will chance myself via Ebay for a used one. Could I use a Cs1 (or Cs2) instead and now sound "funny" because Newegg has them for about $80.00??

Thanks for the help,

-Brooks

·
Registered
355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISREGIT /forum/post/15470018

It seems I am too late again.
I guess I will chance myself via Ebay for a used one. Could I use a Cs1 (or Cs2) instead and now sound "funny" because Newegg has them for about $80.00??

Thanks for the help,

-Brooks

You could, but I wouldn't recommend it. To match your RTI8's you should stick with either a CSi3, CSi5, CSiA4, or CSiA6 center, or even another RTi8. I used all RTi8's for a 5 channel system and loved it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcapri79 /forum/post/15473236

You could, but I wouldn't recommend it. To match your RTI8's you should stick with either a CSi3, CSi5, CSiA4, or CSiA6 scenter, or even another RTi8. I used all RTi8's for a 5 channel system and loved it.

Thank you very much xcapri! I'm glad there is someone in my actual state is helping me out. Not that others are't helpful. Thank you all very very much!

-Brooks

·
Registered
752 Posts
I would definitely go with a CSi5/CSi A6 over the CSi3/CSi A4. How much are you willing to spend on a subwoofer? Nice to see another person with Polk equipment around here!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.