Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased Drumline last week and showed it off on my Mits 65 HDTV to

family in town this weekend. Wow..what a great flick , kinda rehashed

plot , but a joy to watch...LLLOOOTTTSSS of eye candy to behold.

Colors are are there....and a great sound track to boot , this will get

your foot tapping to the different beats in some scenes.

And to hear the drums and horns playing at high decibles does this

film justice . At the end of the film , competition for 1st place , you will surely

want to watch again..it is absolutely intense .

This is a great feel good movie...a mix of humor , romance , no rape , no violence or blood ...just good entertainment ! If you rent , you'll want to buy ...for your collection !

Best,

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
That end faceoff was fantastic! And Orlando Jones really impressed me with his no-nonsense performance in this movie. An unexpected pleasure to watch and often those are the best sort of movie experiences.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
This is THE reference DVD for image quality.

Best looking 2.40:1 image I have ever seen on DVD, even when projected on a 5' x 12' screen and viewed from 15' distance from the screen.

Vern

·
Registered
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm_B
That end faceoff was fantastic! And Orlando Jones really impressed me with his no-nonsense performance in this movie. An unexpected pleasure to watch and often those are the best sort of movie experiences.
Jones gave an excellent performance - he really shocked me, I thought all he did was bombastic comedy. The only DVD's I've seen that approach the colors in this one are animated films.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I went to an ivy league school so I have no idea what the A&T in Atlanta A&T University stand for. I know what T&A stands for. Some guesses on the former:

Agriculture and Technology

Arts and Typewriting

Acrobatics and Terpsichore

Aerobics and Teaching

Acting and Theater

Aeronautics and Tap-Dancing

This is one serious comedy. If you thought the girls in Bring it On were intense about their sport, the band members in Drumline are positively military. The drum-offs are indeed the highlight of this movie. But, if they had me in the band (I'm a P5), this is how I would have dissed the opposing band. I'd turn around, and play their drums with my hands tied behind my back. If I had to play with the cheerleader (Zoe Saldana), I'd make sure her hands were tied behind her back.

Two things I liked about the freshman drummer Devon (Nick Cannon). First, he is cocky. Like Keyshawn Johnson of "Just Throw Me the Ball Fame". With Devon, the operative phrase would be "Just Pass Me the Drumsticks". Second thing that is cool about Devon is his one weakness, which he shares with Jimi Hendrix and many other musicians. Watch the movie to find out.

Has anyone ever played drums in a band (of any kind)? The choice of Pearl and Yamaha as the two drum suppliers seems commercial. Doesn't Tama make marching drums? Also, if one of the schools was uppa class, they would have carried DW drums. Terry Bozzio would be a ringer in the band.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My wife was part of the drum line for her high school and still likes to mess around a bit. We picked this movie up last night as a rental, plan on buying it shortly.

Very impressive soundtrack, gives your amps a workout. I had my Pioneer VSX-d811s "overload" and turn off during the last A&T drum line portion at the end. Granted, it was running at about -12 when I usually run it at -25, louder than I have ever had it. Really gives your sub(s) a workout on the bass drum portions and the mid/high speakers on the brass and snare of the band.

I wasn't terribly impressed with the image quality but then again, all the recent new releases have been of excellent quality anyway. Perhaps we are getting spoiled with high quality releases.

Funny thing is, this is as much a "sports" movie as any football or baseball movie, just with the band.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I did enjoy the movie, but I didn't think the sountrack was nearly LOUD ENOUGH with the drums. I really was hoping they would be more pronounced with more slam. I thought it was actually fairly subdued as far as a soundtrack goes. Like the beginning when they're walking down the hall waking up the crabs with the bass drum, I really expected it to slam hard, but it was pretty weak. It was as if they used a dynamic compression on it. It was good in that the dialogue was matched with the drums, but this is one case that I really wanted to have to turn it up for the dialogue or down for the drums, I wanted it to pound!

And I just couldn't get over Orlando Jones. I kept waiting for him to bust out with a big bug-eyed comedy routine, it was hard to see him as serious.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.