AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it would be fun to see how those of you with more than 1 HD radio, rate their importance or impact based on how you use them. I'll go first.

#1 The JVC KD-HDW10 car receiver: because it allows me the most time to hear HD while traveling far.

#2 The Sony XDR-F1HD tuner: because it's earned the Purple Heart for "front-end grunt"

#3 The Accurian Table Top HD Radio: because its simple/stand-alone and I'm used to the cute sound of those 2" speakers by now.

#4 The Insignia NS-HD01 portable FM HD: because it's toy-sized like they could have thrown it into a cereal box and instead UNSHACKLES ME from the first 3 units if I'm away from my car, my home, or my job.

your turn...

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
#1: Visteon Zoom (HD Radio add-on tuner for car stereos). I use it daily while driving. Can directly memorize HD2 channels. Best feature: The ability to show titles of HD1 and HD2 channels at the same time on a station.

#2: Onkyo TX-SR876 (Home theater receiver with HD Radio tuner). I use it most days while at home. Can directly memorize HD2 channels. Best feature: Quick lock on to HD2 channels.

#3: JVC KD-HDR1 (Car stereo with HD Radio tuner built-in). I moved it to my motorhome after getting the Visteon; I use it on trips every month or so. Cannot directly memorize HD2 channels. Best feature: Very inexpensive when it was released, made it easy to decide to try HD Radio.

#4: Sangean HDT-1 (Home component tuner). I stopped using it when I got the Onkyo, but I may set it up with a stereo in my garage soon. Can directly memorize HD2 channels.

All of these tuners except the JVC can also display RDS information, useful on analog FM stations once you get spoiled by HD Radio and expect that kind of feature on every station. Now, the few stations with neither HD nor RDS just seem so behind-the-times.

·
Super Moderator
18,719 Posts
1. Visteon Zoom for the same reasons above.

2. Insignia NS-HD01 (which, by the way, ALSO has a mode that shows what's playing on the subchannels

3. BA's Radio Receptor HD which I have jacked into the computer most of the time. Until the Insignia, I was lifting off entire hours of the jazz subchannel and copying the files onto my mp3 player.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sony XDR-F1HD - Sensitive & selective. A tiny footprint. I also like the full sized remote control

Sangean HDT 1X - Sensitive receiver and out of the box overcomes many of the shortcomings of the original HDT-1. Very flexible receiver.

Sangean HDT-1 - A fine first effort from Sangean & my second HD radio purchased.

Boston Acoustics HD Receptor - Many problems with this radio for some people. That said there were at least a few radios placed in the marketplace which did work as prescribed. I have one and it works well. No problem receiving all NY area FM HD stations using a dipole. It's my bedside radio.

I'm waiting for the Microsoft Zune to be released in October. That will be my default portable HD radio.

·
Registered
47 Posts
#1 Visteon HD Jump - Had it since 2007 over 3 vehicles, and is the radio I use the most. Never used it as a home radio, and it doesn't do too good with HD on the stock whip antenna. Currently using a whip with ground radials attached to the roof rack and get decent HD performance & great analog on FM. Has the ability to pull in a 20 watt class D from 20 miles away with a Class B 1st adjacent :)

#2 Accurian - Had it since 2008, sits in my room and only gets use during DX openings. Will see more use once I get a proper yagi rather than the dipole that came with it.

#3 Insignia HD portable - Use it almost daily and it was well worth the 50 bucks. Great reception for a portable, rechargeable battery beats buying AAA's constantly, and comes in handy at work when needing to monitor the station outside of the studio.

#4 Sony XDR-F1HD - Currently being used at school station I run to feed the webstream because of its ability to have great stereo separation with a low noise floor. Will be coming back home in a few weeks when a new board gets installed with more stereo outputs.

#5 Boston Acoustics Receptor HD - Purchased in March 2006 (for $625!) and died over a year later. Currently sitting in the shed in the backyard not getting any use. Was a good analog tuner, but the front end was as deaf as a post, so the HD reception sucked unless it was attached to a great antenna.

Out of those 5 radio's, I paid for 4 - one was a gift from a friend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.