AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using a RS double bow-tie on top of my TV and can pick up all key channels in Charlotte pretty well with a minor turn of the direction occassionally. Usually I don't have to turn it at all.

If I go to a roof mount antenna (about 30 feet tall) with about a 50 ft coax run to TV, then split into 2 coax runs about 6ft each to TV and Receiver - Is it likely I will can get away with a Channel Master 4221, or will I likely need a 4228.

My stations are grouped into two areas. Some channels are grouped at 52-54 degrees (about 32 miles away), and some others are grouped between 335-339 degrees (about 23 miles away).

What do you think ???????

·
Super Moderator
18,595 Posts
I'd err on the side of the larger, more directional antenna. Add a preamp and a rotor and you're good to go.

Doc

·
Registered
941 Posts
What Doc said is good advice. But unless you are trying to overcome multi-path, you won't need an antenna as directional as the 4228. The 4221 may be better, it certainly offers enough gain. You probably won't need a pre-amp, and may not need a rotor. You could even put the RS double bow-tie on the roof and gain a little over having it inside.

I'm using a RS U-75R, and a pre-amp, pointed at my main stations 70 miles away, and it picks up stations from 30 miles away 90 degrees to it's side. Even picks up on station 50 miles away that is coming in from the back of the antenna. Of course both the CM antennas you are looking at are more directional than mine. But I'm rambling on. Just my $.02 worth.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The 4221 would be perfect since its wider beamwidth should allow you to pick up all the stations by just pointing it in the middle. The 4228 has a very narrow beamwidth and would most likely require an expensive rotor. If you can pick up all the stations with the RS DBT, you obviously don't need more gain or a preamp. The 4221 already has several times the gain of the RS DBT. I recommend saving money and use the 4221 without a preamp - it only costs around $25. Check it out at:
www.warrenelectronics.com

·
Super Moderator
18,595 Posts
All of this advice is sound. Whichever way you go, though, a word of advice: keep receipts. Having that good of a signal from rabbit ears INdoors can actually increase your odds of having multipath problems when you go upstairs. Not only do you get the transmitting stations better, but every other signal that's out there comes screaming down the pipe as well as the reflections. It all depends on what's around you and what's between you and the stations you're trying to receive. If you find the smaller antenna is giving you more ghosts on analog UHF channels (and, subsequently, issues with the DTV stations), something with a narrower beam may work. Or, as some have suggested, less antenna.

You might even re-do the subject of your thread, here, to include the city. Locals are the best help.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Doc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.