AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This trick works like defrag. on your computer.

It helps optimize & oganise the space in your UTV Hard Drive.

Turn to channel 1020, and turn UTV off.

Listen to your HD closely and you can hear it optimize it's self

**UTV must not be recording or it will not work.

Have Fun!!!

·
Registered
524 Posts
UTV continues to update guide data and process your pending requests even though your not watching a specific channel.

If utv does any checking at all it's when you turn it on/off during the short time it does some simple testing of some sort.

As for file structure windows ce will accommodate unique file structures as one might expect with large files in the case of video, perhaps something on the order as a DVD?

Why FF/REV Step Frame work so well is because your shifting data from within a memory window rather than clusters directly from had disk. All UTV need do is keep the flow of data ahead of video chip set converting the data from memory. This is what I was able to surmise when I looked at some of the chipsets employed in PVR's DVD's.

·
Registered
219 Posts
i can only site my personal experiance. in the past i have had instances of sluggish remote responce and fast forward, rewind issues. after the above proceedure, and turning unit off overnite i find channel changes and overall command responce improved. i now shut down this way every time. try it, it can only help and certainly can't hurt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK Guys... Define "shut off". I believed I've tried exactly what you've just described but the way I shut off is to shut the UTV off via my RCA remote. Are we talking about a power down from the unit itself?

·
Registered
17,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Anti-Handyman
OK Guys... Define "shut off". I believed I've tried exactly what you've just described but the way I shut off is to shut the UTV off via my RCA remote. Are we talking about a power down from the unit itself?
The power button on the box and the remote both do the same thing: they put the unit into standby. There is no real "off" other than to unplug the unit. The diagnostic routines take place during this standby state.

The unit can be "unplugged" by hitting the power button on the unit 3 times in rapid succession, but the standby state is where you really want to be.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NetworkTV
The unit can be "unplugged" by hitting the power button on the unit 3 times in rapid succession, but the standby state is where you really want to be.
Interesting. Does the unit then need to be powered back on with the power button?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by twilburn
Interesting. Does the unit then need to be powered back on with the power button?
No, the remote will still power on.

The rapid 3xOff may be very similar if not identical to tuning the unit to 1020 before switching off.

It is not the same as unplugging though because when the unit is switched back on the picture is instant. There is no power-on self test & all the LEDs do not flash. The green light comes on steady from the word go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.