AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received two free QSC RMX 1850HD amps. I am building a system, but with a limited budget. Before getting the amps I was planning on purchasing the following.

Receiver: Denon AVR-988

Mains: A6 - 6T6 - Tower Pair

Center and surround: A6 - 6T6

Epik Sub

I don't really know how to use the amps or how much gain I would get given the speaker system I was planning on buying?? Does someone have any suggestions for different speakers and/or receiver given that I now have these free amps (I don't mind spending up to $2300ish)? Could I even use all of the power from one of these things (1800 watts!)? Maybe sell one? Or just sell them both to help pay for the speakers? Thanks!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
If you have pre outs on your receiver, you could try them out. They are quite powerful, so I might use one for the L/R channels, and use one channel of the second one for the center channel. You could bridge one for the center, but I don't think that's needed in your application.

You could also use one for the surrounds and drive the center from the receiver if you prefer. That might limit the center in conjunction with the L/R speakers though, depending. I would personally use the two amps for the main channels, and drive your surrounds using the receiver.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is what I ended up purchasing...

Amps: Two QSC RMX 1850HD (Received these free!)

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V663BL

Towers: Elemental Designs A6 - 6T6 - Tower Pair (I'm from Iowa, so I thought I would go with some home grown speakers)

Center: Elemental Designs A6 - 6T6 - MTM

Surrounds: Elemental Designs A6 - 6T6 - MTM

Sub: Elemental Designs A5 - 350 or Epik sub (haven't decided yet)

A few more questions: The speakers are 6 ohms. This this compatible with the amps right (I only see 8,4,2 in the manual)? I was told it would work with the receiver so hopefully that is compatible as well! I was thinking one amp for the towers and one amp for the center/surrounds. Is this my best option and is it difficult to set up (I'm pretty new to this stuff, sorry!)?? Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.