AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a good deal on a used unit (minus RP62) and have decided to give the HD Leeza another chance. My dealer is letting me use the unit for a while at no cost, and if I like it, I pay. If not, I ship it back, and I'm only out shipping. The hardware on the unit is all up to date; it just needs a firmware update. Hard to pass up given the low price and zero risk factor.

I'm using a D-ILA SX21 with a 1400x1050 panel and anamorphic lens. The primary reason I returned my HDL the first time around was due to its inability to sync at native rate via DVI. I've been told this issue has been fixed by using the DVI phase clock adjustments provided via the remote control. The other reason was its incompatibility with my Motorola cable box, which has also supposedly been fixed. The non-functional 48Hz/72Hz refresh rates don't matter to me since the SX21 only syncs at 60Hz anyway.

I've purchased a Panny XP50 with SDI from JVB to use with the scaler because I sold the RP82 that I was using previously. It's my understanding that these two models are exactly the same except for the different case and the addition of a coaxial digital audio output on the RP82.

If anyone has a list of fixes that have been implemented over the course of the various HDL firmware upgrades, that would be helpful. I'd like to see what's working now and what's still broken. I downloaded the new firmware expecting a fix list to be included but it wasn't there.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Damn, this is like sand in the peanut butter. Here I am waiting patiently for almost a year it seems for my FIRST upgrade HD Leeza and you are trying your second.

As good as KD is, this is beginning to P.M.O severely now.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, this is my old unit that I returned a little over a month ago. It's been sitting at my dealer in the box untouched since then. This isn't a newly manufactured unit. At first it sounds kind of ridiculous that I returned it only to buy it again, but I got a bit of a discount for it, and there's zero risk involved, so I went for it.

I take it some of the Digital Leeza upgraders haven't received their units yet? KD must really be backlogged.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
No, I think some users have elected to wait until the issues that are important to them are resolved.

Steve

·
Registered
637 Posts
Some users may have elected to wait but I'm not one of them. KD says they don't have any to ship me so I'm forced to wait on whatever manufacturing schedule that they have. It ain't JIT, I know that.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Jay,

The latest firmware fixes:

1. PAL SDI (no feedback yet regarding if it fixes everything or not).

2. Horizontal position is remembered per input.

3. R1+1 disables "no signal" message, R1+2 returns it.

4. GB reset changes to 480p (not verified).

I can't find a release log anywhere (I seem to remember seeing one), so I can't find the R button that is in charge of DVI polarity settings :( This might require an email to Mike or Michael from Key to resolve (shouldn't we write this down somewhere?).

AVB,

I believe they sold out their current production stock and waiting for newly built units.

BTW, while looking for the change log I found a new scaler/switcher listed on the KeyDigital website: KD-DRDA4. Does anyone know anything about it?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ofer,

The DVI phase clock adjustments are on page 10 of the updated PDF manual. The button is R8, used in combination with the number buttons.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Ofer

The Pal issues are still way off being solved. Me and Gordon took a Pal DVD player and a couple of disks to the stand at Cedia plugged it in and showed them the issues.

They were acknowledged and we left them the discs.....but as yet we have heard nothing......

What we really need is the ability to define different refresh rates per input, this would be a massive bonus.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just want to say that KD has worked out all of my issues with the HD Leeza and I am very happy with its performance. I use an E-Home 8110 with an SDI DVD player, a Pioneer LD player via S-Video and a VCR via composite video.

KD even exchanged my Panasonic RP56 with the new RP62 for free (and threw in an SDI cable) becuase I was experiencing loss of sync and sparklie problems.

I like to use the opening credits for Deep Space Nine as a test and focus on all of the little dots of light in the comet tail as it flies by.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just hooked everything up.

Good:

- 1400x1050 via DVI works now

- HD looks great with my Motorola 5100 box

Bad:

- SDI says no signal, though component 480i works fine

The HD material looks so good that I want to keep the HDL this time, but non-functioning SDI is definitely a deal breaker. I sent an e-mail to Mike T. at KD, so hopefully he'll have a suggestion.

·
Registered
792 Posts
THIRD KIND

DO you get a sdi picture, with a rgbhv feed, or component? I believe the latest hdl defaults to 720 p, perhaps that has something to do with no signal as it isnt syncing up with the sx 21 at 720 p.

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
Jay,

Sounds like an isolated issue with that particular unit. SDI definitely works on other HD LEEZA units with recent firmwares.

There's been very little chatter regarding scaled HD on the HD LEEZA (except early reports regarding the green-haze issue which has been resolved in a recent firmware update).

Can you tell us a bit more regarding native HD (I'm assuming 1080i) vs scaled 1050p?

·
Registered
27,307 Posts
Could be the cable (SDI problem). Make sure your sync is 60 hz and no 960P resolution selected. My HD LEEZA will not lock onto 1280 X 960.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MRJAZZZ,

I have the resolution set to 1400x1050, which is working via DVI for both the 1080i component input and the 480i component input. The HDL syncs just fine at that res for the SDI input as well; it just doesn't see a source signal.

I actually performed the firmware update with my PC connected to the projector via VGA and the HD Leeza connected via DVI. The SX21 synced up with the HDL at the 720x480 default via DVI, so there was no need to set everything up via RGBHV first as KD suggests. I think they only suggest using RGBHV first because DVI can be picky and may or may not sync at 720x480p depending on the display.

Ofer,

I'm thinking that my XP50's SDI mod is defective. I used this exact same HD Leeza unit previously with both KD's RP62 and an RP82 I also purchased from JVB. Both worked fine aside from some occasional sparklies. My dealer is sending me my old RP62 so I can test the HDL and make sure it's working fine. If it works, the XP50 goes back for replacement. If I see sparklies this time it might be time for the HDL to go back to KD for examination. I have to admit, however, that the component 480i input provides a very nice image, contrary to what some others have said about the HDL's analog inputs. I haven't thrown up any test patterns yet, but from watching Collateral Damage last night (a reference transfer if I've ever seen one), it seemed as good as SDI--but that's from memory. Maybe when I get SDI working I'll see the difference when flipping back and forth. Test patterns may also reveal limitations that aren't readily observable on program material.

As for HD, it's quite stunning. The SX21 doesn't have the greatest internal scaler, so 1080i can be good, but not outstanding. With the HDL, it's like a totally different machine. It's easy to tell that the HDL is doing proper 1080i > 1080p > 1050p conversion because the level of detail is so much higher than going straight to the projector from the cable box. I have a D-VHS deck on the way, so I'm anxious to test that out as well.

Keep in mind that all these opinions are based on a projector and scaler that haven't been through even basic calibration yet (brightness, contrast, etc.), so take them with a grain of salt. I'll get that stuff done tonight.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would suggest trying another SDI cable.

Details of what I went through with the HDL is listed here

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've tried two different cables. One was the cable JVB sent with the XP50, the other was this cable . Both seem like well-made, quality cables. I also tried a T connector with a 75 ohm terminator at the DVD player end, still no signal at all. Since the DVD players I had previously worked fine aside from the sparklies with the "cheap" JVB cable, I find it hard to believe that all of the sudden I can't get any signal at all. A garbled signal maybe, but nothing at all?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chris,

What equipment do I need to build my own cables? I'd like to try it out, especially since I'll be moving soon and will likely need some new cable runs for speakers and other equipment.

Thanks,

Jay

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thirdkind

I've tried two different cables. One was the cable JVB sent with the XP50, the other was this cable. Both seem like well-made, quality cables. I also tried a T connector with a 75 ohm terminator at the DVD player end, still no signal at all. Since the DVD players I had previously worked fine aside from the sparklies with the "cheap" JVB cable, I find it hard to believe that all of the sudden I can't get any signal at all. A garbled signal maybe, but nothing at all?
Being a broadcast standard, I believe SDI shouldn't have to be this way. In my situation, I would think everything would be plug-and-play by just replacing the Digital Leeza with the HDL, but it wasn't case. I think the SDI receiver board in the HDL is picky.

As far as making cables, someone posted this site in the Tweaks forum.

·
Registered
792 Posts
THIRD KIND

I have not been that impressed with SDI, thru the HDL. I at first couldnt get a sync, than i changed to a diff cable and i did. So perhaps it is a cable/conector issue. My main beef with SDI,(at least with the PANY, that came with the HDL) is that it looks a bit soft, going thru the HDL. I find that i much prefer the analoge component feed( INTERLACED) from several different dvd players , run into HDL, than dvi out from HDL.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My initial impressions two months ago were that SDI provided a very smooth, natural image. Perhaps the D/A conversion or other signal processing occurring in your DVD players is adding a slight amount of edge enhancement that's giving an increase in perceived detail.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.