AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of connection problems, and not being able to connect my Replay TV 3020 at all for weeks at a time, regardless of what number I use (local or long distance), I've given up and am going over to the dark side.

I just bought an open box Sony SVR-2000 at circuit city for $290 (I made them lower the open box price in case I can't get the rebate without the box - if I do get a rebate (I'm writing a letter to try) - it will cost $190).

I hate the idea of paying for service, but I found out with my Replay that you get what you pay for.....

After I watch all the shows on the replay, I'll probably use it for a doorstop - anybody want a cheap one?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually Randy,

I had previously posted many times but was inactive for a while and my acct was wiped out.

During the last several months I've read every connection problem post hoping to find an answer to my problem. (I admit I didn't post because I didn't feel like re-registering - a bit pissed off that they dumped my acct while I wasn't looking).

I tried every solution listed in the posts I read and just spent lots of $$ on long distance. When the message on my replay comes back as saying the computer is not answering the phone - it is wrong - it's not making a connection, but if you listen on the speaker phone - a computer picks up and you hear lots of shrill boinging and stuff. So I paid for long distance on all the extra numbers I tried to get a connection.

After all the multiple connection problems listed on these boards - I would think that you would be a little more understanding and less quick with your accusations - UNLESS YOU WORK FOR REPLAY TV? Do I see stock options here?......

·
Registered
36 Posts
First .. I won't try to convince you to not buy a Tivo as I believe that two PVRs in the same house is great and helps resolve conflicts. And now that TiVo (in new v2.5 software release) has re-enabled a backdoor code for 30-second skip feature, I like TiVo as well. Before the flames start ... I'm not a troll, I have a hacked 60 hr replay, and unhacked 30-hour showstopper (which was/is having modem hang up issues), and a 14 hr unhacked TiVo (which I would like to hack, but don't want to jeopardize my my lifetime service).

So .. go ahead and buy a tivo if you like. But keep your replay. I'm sure that connection issue will eventually get resolved (ReplayGuys ... where are you on this one ???). Also, I found the steps that rayliner outlined in another thread did help my problem somewhat. Previously, my showstopper was hanging up almost every night. However, after I followed the steps below, it has connected successfully every night (except once) this past week. When this fix was first posted, I didn't try it, cause I didn't see why it would work or make a difference. I still don't understand why it helps, but it did for me .. so if you haven't tried this, give it a shot ...

(the following from rayliner post (I haven't figured out how to quoe properly)

Resolution:

Solution: Manually connect to RTVS

Steps:

The procedure to connect to RTVS manually is as follows:

1) Press MENU on the ReplayTV remote.

2) Select 'Setup' in the menu.

3) Select 'Change Dialing & Input Settings.'

4) Select 'Continue' to get past phone number to the ZIP Code screen.

5) Select 'Stop' to clear ZIP Code.

6) Select 'Left Arrow' to go back to Telephone Number.

7) Select 'Stop' to clear Telephone Number.

8) Re-enter Area code + first 3 digits of Telephone Number

9) Select 'Continue to Zip code

10) Re-enter Zip Code.

11) Continue to Prefix

12) Enter Prefix if required

ReplayTV will now connect to the RTVS to download the current channel

guide information. If connection fails, wait an hour and try to connect

again.

Connection problems that last longer than a few hours should be considered

for escalation. 3-minutes forward onm replay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion - unfortunately I had already tried that one too. I've tried a few dozen different suggestions in various posts in the last 6 weeks or so.

I'm going to keep the replay for a while - but might give it to my brother for his birthday - he won't use the program guide stuff anyway, but would love to be able to stop and do instant replays for his sports shows.

I hope that the connection problems get ironed out soon - I couldn't live without a working PVR for any longer length of time (you do get spoiled) so the (gasp) evil Tivo solution. But lots of others on this board are having problems, and I know it's frustrating.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm tempted to buy your 3020. I probably would if I knew the hardware was working. For all I know, you may have a bad modem causing your problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The modem dials out and it can't seem to make a connection - then says the other computer doesn't answer - see recent netconnect posts for others with this problem. I got it to download for 2 nights last week - after rebooting the machine - but that's it. Last re-boot didn't help. I've always had issues with the modem hanging up - but it usually downloaded the program guide before it would do so. I just don't know. Anyway, I have about 12 hours worth of stuff on there - most of it old " if nothing else comes on tv - I'll watch this" stuff - but I plan to watch all of it before making any decisions. I'm not even sure I'd feel right selling it without knowing for sure (like you said) if the modem might be wigged out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just curious joanmaries, since the RTV-4ks are shipping out beginning in about two weeks, before going over to TIVO did you give any consideration to the new 4Ks?. Do you have BB?. or is the cost prohibitive? or possibly both?.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
From the symptoms you describe, I would suspect the phone line. :( Obviously the numbers are answering, but you're not able to get a stable connection. So it's not as if Replay's network isn't working.

I hope you have better success with your phone line and the TiVo. If it's really a bad line, well...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just to answer the some previous questions:

1. I am not going to get the new replay tv - I tend to get obsessive / compulsive about my tech gadgets and the ABSOLUTE LAST thing I need is an expensive box that will require me to put in a home network (1 person, 1 computer, why bother? why spend the $$$) and drop even more time being a spud. I don't know any friends/relatives who are as tech crazy as I am and none have a replay tv or are likely to get the new one. I like the basic features of replay/tivo because it will record my tv shows and I can go do what I want - but with all the features on the 4000, I would feel like I'd need to use some of them - more time, more tv watching, the weight I lost last year would come right back on (that's why I wasn't on the forum much for a while - dieting & exercising 9 mos. - 70lb lost - it's a wonderfull thing).

2. My phone lines worked fine with the replay for months, then not. They work fine for my dial up internet connection, no drop outs. They work fine for my telephone, and they seem to work fine for the new Sony unit I just got. The only way I can see phone lines being an issue is if the Replay equipment is too cheap and needs higher quality signals than anything else I have. Then comes the question - why now and not before??? I think it is either the Replay TV equipment being a little flakey? Or more likely from the other threads I've read - the Earthlink connection being a MAJOR problem.

3. As for tech support - my 1 year warantee was up many many months ago - so no joy there. I got this replay for a steal at amazon with online coupons and stuff - so I'm not sure I could justify a possible repair cost that would be close to my purchase price. (shipping, repairs, etc.).

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Mike,

Is anyone at Replay aware of how widespread this problem is ??

I know you're not there anymore but there's not much of a replay presence in this forum lately. I'm sure SonicBlue is putting all of its resources into the 4000 series, but I think a lot of potential buyers are off by the constant connection problems and the lack of any response from Replay. Based on all the postings in this forum, something changed ~2 months ago. Many people with units that have 56K modems have gone from connecting every night to constant modem hang ups.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you suspect it's a dial-up problem, can you take it to a "nearby city?" In other words, take it to a friend's house that's in another area, (an hour or 2 away) and see if you geta ny different results. I live near Portland Oregon and have great dial-up service. In fact, if you want to ship it to me ppd, I can test it for you (though you don't know me from Adam , so you may not want to) but it would surely eliminate the modem &/or service question.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, I had the old replay disconnected for a while to setup my new recorder, and upon re-connecting it - decided to try again to get a connection. Sometime during the "downtime" it decided it lost all channel and dial-up number data and It wanted to try again. SO.... Ok - I set everything up again. ONe time it said it was downloading stuff (5th try) and then crashed out and said it didn't get any information. Then on the 8th try - it gave me a new error - said network down. Anybody get that one before?? So now I can't even get it to connect to get the list of numbers or local stations. Oh well, I'll probably keep trying. I've tried numbers from up to 50 miles away already, but I might try another state just for the heck of it .... that's if I can get any connection at all.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by joanmaries

the ABSOLUTE LAST thing I need is an expensive box that will require me to put in a home network (1 person, 1 computer, why bother?

Well, if you have a computer with broadband, all you have to do is get a router/hub and a category 5 cable. I've seen routers for less than $100, but I got a nice one for $145 with print server capability and a serial port to use a 56k modem as a backup.
Quote:
Originally posted by joanmaries

with all the features on the 4000, I would feel like I'd need to use some of them - more time, more tv watching, the weight I lost last year would come right back on (that's why I wasn't on the forum much for a while - dieting & exercising 9 mos. - 70lb lost - it's a wonderfull thing).

[/b]
I once lost 60 pounds in three months and have kept most of it off. It's even easier now that I sit in front of the t.v. on my exercise bike for a couple of hours at a time and burn calories. Can't you work out in front of the television? Maybe you prefer jogging outdoors or going to a gym, but it works for me.

·
Registered
805 Posts
For what it's worth, I guarantee that I cannot connect to ANY of the 'alternate' numbers in eastern pennsylvania. Primaries are ok, but alternates simply won't complete the connection [modem hung-up message] -- be they local or long-distance. I do not know what the technical difference is between the primaries and alternates [nor does it make sense to me that there should be any difference], but there is clearly something incompatible between my 3030 and whatever the answer protocol is at the alternates [and I suppose someone is going to tell me it shouldn't make a difference if it is a primary or alternate -- but I assure you, it does -- at least 'round these here parts]. And neither I nor a friend of mine [also local] have been ever able to get any traction on this issue [or even an admission that there is an issue] for some many months.

Clay

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now that I've gone over to the dark side, the replay connected last night - no channell guide info in a week, but now I have it. Sort of like after you buy stuff - the price drops to 1/2? Anyway, now I have two working dvr's.

Still not sure if I'll keep both or what - I'm only one person and having 50 hours of tv available at any one time is an invitation to be a total couch potato. (as if my computer wasn't bad enough). I can't exercise in front of my tv because I get bored and stop - if I go out running or walking outside, I get bored, but I'm at least a mile or more from my house and still have to exercise to get home. There is a method to my madness.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Make sure to give the Tivo 2-3 days to download the latest software update...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.