AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My source of entertainment for music has be a clock radio.  After going to local store and being awakened by how speakers should sound, I have opted to give in and get my first receiver and speakers.  Hard to believe that I am in my forties and have missed out on a good system.  I have narrowed it down to  3 speakers  - (1) Paradigm Studio 10, (2) Paradigm monitor 7 and (3) Ascend Sierra-1.  I haven't heard the Ascend, but I have listened to Paradigm at the store.  Any speaker will put a clock radio to shame. but my first question is will these speakers sound harsh with my tile floors?  Paradigm sounded awesome, but after looking through avs forum, Ascend seems to be better choice.  Anyone out there willing to give direction or have experience with tile floors and how the above mentioned speakers might fair?  

thanks

nick

clock radio lol

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Any speakers going to have some reflection off tile floors--Paradigm, Ascend, or otherwise.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Paradigm and Ascend have some good models, but PSB and Monitor Audio might be better choices with that "live" floor.

Of course the best thing you can do is put down rugs or carpeting to try to cut down the reflections off of the floor.

The one thing that really impairs the performance of most bookshelf speakers is a poor choice of stands.

The stands need to be fairly massive and very rigid, or the performance of the speakers suffers BADLY! Good stands are essential for getting them to sound correct.

Most wood stands are terrible. I recommend the SANUS Steel Foundations stands, with sand or steel birdshot filling the vertical columns.

Another thing that works great is a stack of 6" x *8" x 8" concrete blocks, draped with some sort of pillowcase or any kind of fabric to cover up the ugly suckers and make them purty.

Acoustically, that is an excellent stand (and very cheap).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you don't mind me asking, how are PSB and Monitor Audio going to behave differently vs paradigm/ascend speakers on the tile? What kind of issues am I going to run into with paradigm/ascend verse the recommended speakers. Thanks community, you guys are great resource for newbies. Nick

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lackingHT  /t/1523083/giving-up-clock-radio-sp...-to-purchase-bookshelf-speakers#post_24499890

If you don't mind me asking, how are PSB and Monitor Audio going to behave differently vs paradigm/ascend speakers on the tile? What kind of issues am I going to run into with paradigm/ascend verse the recommended speakers. Thanks community, you guys are great resource for newbies. Nick

They're not. All the speakers you mentioned will behave similarly with regards to the tile floor.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Placement can help a lot. Experiment. Try not to sit too far away.

The most important area for reflections is to the sides of the speakers (walls or windows) and on the floor (or other surface) between you and the speakers. So if you can keep the speakers away from the side walls and cover the floor in front of you with a carpet, it goes a long way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts