AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I'm going to chock the Ampro 2000 up to experience. I bought it as an unknown and am not going to throw any more money at it. I've got a lot of parts though if anybody is interested! I've got 2500 to spend on another projector. What should I buy?

·
Registered
398 Posts
E-Home 8500.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
another vote for E-home 8500. these things have been flooding the market recently as schools and businesses replace them with LCD digital crap. So it's a buyers market and you should take advantage of that. There's a good reason so many were sold in the 90s, they are excellent machines. good Luck:)

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=32862

I know this guy and he is trustworthy. As a matter of fact this projector is the first CRT I ever saw in action and I was blown away. I wound up buying a cheap 8500 with moderately worn tubes instead becuase my entire budget was around 2K including cables, HTPC etc. If I had the cash I would grab this thing for the tubes alone, they're perfect.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You gentlemen for the input. What do you think about the Barco BD808s? The reason why I ask is because Curt has one up in Vancouver. This is only about 3.5 hours from where I live. It has the auto convergence optics and comes with a 1 year warranty. He is holding it for me to go up and take a look at it. It looks pretty much hands down that in the short time I've given the forum to reply that Electrohome is the favorite brand for the dollar range I'm in. How do you think this Barco rates vs. the Electrohome? On the www.crtcinema.com site they look pretty close. I find the idea of getting something with a warranty pretty appealing.

Thanks again guys

Charles

·
Registered
82 Posts
What style HVPS do you have? Does it have the 3 focus pots on the case or one red lead out to external focus pots? If it's the newer style with external focus pots I might be interested in trying to fix it as a spare for my 4000 PJ.

Sorry to hear you've had such trouble. I admit I've had to do a little work on mine. It now has isolated fans to make it quiet and small fans on the neck cards. It's been trouble free after the mods. These units are all about 10 years old and heat takes it toll.

Good luck on your next PJ.

Mike

·
Banned
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by draganm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=32862

If I had the cash I would grab this thing for the tubes alone, they're perfect.
you must be looking at a different picture than me. those tubes have noticable wear and i wouldn't pay $1,300 for it.

But, i also recommend an 8500lc. buy one with some burn and when you can afford it, rebuild the tubes. it doesn't get much better.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Quote:
you must be looking at a different picture than me. those tubes have noticable wear and i wouldn't pay $1,300 for it.
yes your right, I only took a quick glance at it and assumed it was the one I checked out in person. It must be different from the one I looked at(this gentleman had 7 or 8 sitting around). $1300. does seem a little but high for an 8000, even with only a little wear on the tubes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.