AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have 2 UXL-18s coming from the group buy which are to start with going into sealed 21" cubes. However; I am looking at other options for when we move and am curious as to what the pros and cons are of say the Gjallarhorn or large ported enclosure?

There seems to be a lot of positive results going either route but I am curious as to what the benefits of each are?

So basically tapped horn vs LLT?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziedog  /t/1521232/gjallarhorn-or-llt#post_24445946

So I have 2 UXL-18s coming from the group buy which are to start with going into sealed 21" cubes. However; I am looking at other options for when we move and am curious as to what the pros and cons are of say the Gjallarhorn or large ported enclosure?

There seems to be a lot of positive results going either route but I am curious as to what the benefits of each are?

So basically tapped horn vs LLT?

Depends on what you are trying to achieve. Either will be potent. The ported will give you a little more down low (depending on tuning) with flexibility in form and shape and the GH will give you more output, two would be insane.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
Through correspondence with LTD02, a 22 cubic foot ported enclosure using 2 UXL 18s tuned to 17hz was very close to G horn output numbers. It does take double the drivers and double the amp output to get there vs the G horn.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
If a guy has the space the LLT/ish is a great option imo. He can still go LLT with 15"s if forced with a smaller enclosure and still be good in most rooms whether you're going single, dual, quad... Having that extra impact down low makes a big difference when called upon.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I am wondering what the THD would be in each alignment?

The horn will need a little EQ around 70 to tame the ringing. But, I am guessing it would keep THD down more than the ported, but I could be mistaken.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts