AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I started looking to replace our 22 year old Mitsubishi CRT. The thing won't die! I got caught up in all the hype for 1080p LCDs and wouldn't even look at plasmas because of worry about glare and burn in. I started reading this site and realized these things were way overblown. When I finally saw plasmas in even close to realistic lighting conditions I was sold. I decided on a Panasonic 50-px60u. I went in CC when they had it marked down with a coupon I printed off the net. I told the guy if he would honor the coupon I would take the set home. He came back after a while and said the manager said OK. He had the Monster cables, super duper surge protector, and extended warranty paperwork ready for me, lol. I said, "just the TV."

The set was made in Aug 06 and I got it in Apr 07, so I guess it was sitting around somewhere. I checked it over and it was new. I haven't checked which firmware version it has, but I don't know if I would change it anyway.

I mounted it with a Monoprice mount, but I didn't need the tilt and I wanted it closer to the wall. A few minutes with a bandsaw and it's good. I put a small antenna up (CM4221) and got an optical cable and get all the locals (I had read the tuner wasn't so good but I get everything fine). I toned down the settings and try to avoid black bars, but every channel has an obnoxious logo and/or ticker anyway so I don't worry too much.

I'm glad i went with the prevailing "go bigger" opinion. I was looking at the 42 inch and as soon as we hung the 50 I knew it was the right choice (11 foot viewing distance).

OTA HD PQ is excellent. DVDs are excellent (older Toshiba DVD player). Most SD is pretty good, too. WAF was a concern at first, until she saw the picture. She loves it. Very happy with the purchase.

Dan

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Congrats on your new TV and enjoy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You might want to reconsider getting the surge protector though. A plasma tv has alot of electronics that could be easily damaged by surges. I know I would. A 50$ piece of equipment to protect a $3,000 is a pretty wise investment. Not necessarily a monster one but you can get a belkin or something like that at radio shack that are solid.

·
Registered
528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox1 /forum/post/0

Not necessarily a monster one but you can get a belkin or something like that at radio shack that are solid.

There are other threads on surge protectors. APC surge protectors have equipment

warranties and are highly rated by some, and disparaged on price by some. A little research

at the AVS forum may help you select the surge protector that's right for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did get a surge protector, just not the $$$ one the CC guy had. I would have paid 50% of what I paid for the TV if I got everything he was pushing.

I had a DVD player I was going to toss because the audio went out (analog). I got a digital coax and tried it and that worked. I was surprised how good the picture was. I was going to get an Oppo DVD player but I don't see any reason to now.

Anyway- we very much enjoy the set. I haven't let the kids game on it yet, but I will. So far no problems at all.

Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.