AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never picked up the original 2-disc release and was thinking about picking it up on eBay or something but saw that the extended edition was released this week. Most sites say no DTS, but Amazon says it does have DTS. Anyhow, anyone pick this up? Given that it would not be a double-dip for me, would the extended version be recommended? I am also wondering about PQ, since they have two movies on the same DVD (which makes me think no DTS either).

TZ

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I had it in my hands yesterday. Saw that dts wasn't on there. Then I saw two versions (extended and original) on same disc. I'm sure it's branching (which then makes me wonder how well it was done...like Meet the Fockers or Ray...both sucked in the branching department!) and if it's not that way, the quality will be less. So I put it back on the shelf.

I haven't seen a review on it either. Damn shame because I love that movie!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting comment about the branching. Do you know how the Alien Quadrilogy was handled?

Too bad they didn't seperate the Theatrical Cut and Extended Edition on to different discs. Then give the fans a better transfer with DTS. I'd pay another $5-$10 for that (although this set seems a tad pricey already).

TZ

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I'll kill my post, sice this is a few minutes ahead of mine.

Since my local CC had none of the SE releases I wanted last night, I had one of those `OK, I'll get this' moments.

I own the 2 disk set, which is great.

I did enjoy the extended scenes, especially the senator meeting. The only one I did not like was Jaoquin going off on the bust - obvious why it was cut.

Some reviews have been harsh on the audio. I did miss the DTS. On my system, it seemed like the center was hot, or perhaps balanced in a different manner from the DTS. The score had less impact in this mix, but it could be a matter of me being spoiled by the great 6.1 DTS and the new DD with it's higher compression not impressing me. Not Sure.

Disk 2 docs are a workout at 3hrs 20min, with some material from the first. Good material if you love the film. Is this the same producer as the Alien Quad extras? Name looked familiar.

Disk 3 - Yawn

Is this an obvious Double Dip? Yes & No

The added footage does work for the most part, but does not open the story to any great amount. Disk 2 docs are a mix of great new stuff, and some of the same from the previous, so Hmm.

The long cut intro has Ridley saying the directors cut is the theater release. I.E. - this is a test cut

E

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had a chance to watch the Extended Edition on Wed. night, and to my eyes, the branching was pretty seamless. I noticed what scenes were new, and I did not notice a difference in video or audio from the original scenes. The DD track is quite good, but not as good as the original dts-ES track. It's a shame they had to put the theatrical version and extended on the same disc. They should have dumped the theatrical, and put the dts-ES track with the EE. I highly recommend the upgrade for a real fan of the movie.

·
Registered
30,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolintheRain
No Dolby Digital-EX
How is that possible? Someone would have to strip out the surround-back content of the original DD 5.1 EX soundtrack while leaving the rest of the surround information intact. Highly unlikely.

Sanjay

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmcinema
No DTS? (not so) seamless branching? I'll pass.
it does do seamless branching, most films with extended cuts, like Ray and Bourne Identity use extended branching, which sucks, seamless branching is just that, seamless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullclipfink
They should have dumped the theatrical, and put the dts-ES track with the EE. I highly recommend the upgrade for a real fan of the movie.
dumping the theatrical cut would not save very much space

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seamless_branching

watch any of the starwars films opening crawl in another language and see how good seamless branching works.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullclipfink
They should have dumped the theatrical, and put the dts-ES track with the EE. I highly recommend the upgrade for a real fan of the movie.
dumping the theatrical cut would not save very much space, since it uses seamless branching, every part of both cuts that is the same is only on the disc once. the disc "directs" the player on what to play, and in what order.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.