AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tuned into this tonight and thought the picture looked awesome. Im using a DTC100 and my sony XBR400, I was just wondering what other people thought of this...why isnt the sound in 5.1? And is the picture actually in letterbox it did not look like it was? THANKS

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I, too, was impressed by the quality of "Gladiator". I saw it three times in the theater (once on opening night) at one of the best theaters in the Bay Area. I was blown away by the quality of the image and the wonderful cinematography then, and I thought the HBO presentation was faithful to the original except for one significant problem.

I am getting frustrated by the complete inattention to maintaining proper aspect ratios. "Gladiator" and "The Messenger" were both shot at 2.35:1. I just installed my HD-100 and it would appear that everything HBO broadcasts is rematted to fill the 16:9 format.

------------------

FIGHT MPAA/SUPPORT EFF
http://www.eff.org/

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I thought it looked great, but I agree about the sound. Why stop one step short of a great presentation? Dolby 2/0?!?! Even my HT novice roommate question what was up with the sound.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote:
I just installed my HD-100 and it would appear that everything HBO broadcasts is rematted to fill the 16:9 format.
HBO decided several months ago that Joe 6P would not "understand" the presence of black bars on his shiny new widescreen TV, so they threw OAR out the window.

And I suppose we won't be seeing any B&W movies anymore, either. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

James

DVI/HDCP and DFAST are Pure Concentrated Evil!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alkettory:
HBO decided several months ago that Joe 6P would not "understand" the presence of black bars on his shiny new widescreen TV, so they threw OAR out the window.
Perhaps they saw the thread on avsforum.com a few weeks proposing a class action suit against broadcasters with bright static bugs (logos) causing burn-in on projection TVs, and were afraid that those people might decide to turn their attention to display damage caused by the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen next. Unlike displaying 4:3 on a widescreen TV, there are no gray bars or strech modes to mitigate possible damage.

P.S. - I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I prefer OAR myself.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Since HBO doesn't show any films with black bars on their regular channels, I wouldn't expect them to on their HD channel. I wish they would, though. Yup, they're goin' for the common man. However, I would expect PPV movies to remain in their original aspect ratio.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Art,

Not quite true, HBO started showing The Sopranos in letterbox this season (started about 2 weeks ago). Perhaps this is the begining of good things to come.

--Rick

·
Registered
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ricka:
Not quite true, HBO started showing The Sopranos in letterbox this season (started about 2 weeks ago). Perhaps this is the begining of good things to come.
Actually, they simulcast the Sopranos in both aspect ratios, with widescreen on HBO and 4:3 on HBO Plus.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Well, whatta you know?

HBO broadcast "Tootsie" in OAR today! Let's hope this is the beginning of a new trend.

-- Ray

------------------

FIGHT MPAA/SUPPORT EFF
http://www.eff.org/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.