AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2852 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The unfiltered extended shots vs. the DNR'd, then sharpened theatrical footage is a night and day difference (to my eyes.)

The theatrical stuff looks digital, clayface, fake, sizzling; I don't want to say it looks like upscaled DVD but it's got the same type of processed feel about it.

This one needs to be fixed.

·
Premium Member
24,053 Posts
I did not realise this movie was out yet. Amazon is still showing sept release.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack /forum/post/17047097

eesh. Just look at the difference around the word GERMANIA...

good call. The difference is huge. I hate that we are having a thread like this over a movie like this. Makes me mad

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack /forum/post/17047097

eesh. Just look at the difference around the word GERMANIA...

The spear on the left side is an even bigger sign of image filtering on the BD. The automated noise reduction software erased some of it! In shot 7 it also erased most of the flaming arrows.

·
Registered
11,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe /forum/post/17047197

The spear on the left side is an even bigger sign of image filtering on the BD. The automated noise reduction software erased some of it! In shot 7 it also erased most of the flaming arrows.

holy damn. where are the apologists now...?

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack /forum/post/17047232

where are the apologists now...?

It is only every so often that we are blessed with a quality Blu-ray Disc such as this one. The only way it could have possibly looked better is to horizontally (or even vertically) stretch the image. Ah, if only every BD was treated in the same way The Truman Show was. :/

I think that provides enough idiotic BS.

·
Registered
185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 /forum/post/17046992

Yes. It's Region Free
but PQ???

Well, when i google translated that German review from Area HD the rewiever stated that there were big difference in detail in the extended scenes hence the theatrical, so that Uni disc seems to be cut from the same cloth, and that would mean even the UK is the same right

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
It's hard me to understand how a movie studio can screw up like this. Unfortunately it seems to be the rule rather than the exception. When will studios finally learn that DNR filtering and EE are *BAD* things?

As a general rule: When a broadcasts beats the Blu-Ray, some heads should roll.

I've just cancelled my Gladiator Blu-Ray preorder.

·
Registered
11,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi /forum/post/17047311

It's hard me to understand how a movie studio can screw up like this. Unfortunately it seems to be the rule rather than the exception. When will studios finally learn that DNR filtering and EE are *BAD* things?

As a general rule: When a broadcasts beats the Blu-Ray, some heads should roll.

I've just cancelled my Gladiator Blu-Ray preorder.

I'm sure the FX artists who worked on this will check this out and just love seeing that many of their digital flaming arrows have now disappeared because of some program some nitwit supervising the transfer implemented. Oh well, the program just thought they were

"noise" or that ultimate home video boogeyman, "grain"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe /forum/post/17045992

oh and that soldier really didn't need that spear to be solid. You have GOT to be kidding me...

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
At first i didn't think the BD looked so bad in the other thread. But seeing these pics, especially compared to the unmolested extended scenes, really makes me sick

Why do the studios need to tinker with the image? It's great as it was before!! How do they not see this? We want to see pores, threads, fine detail!! not wax!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Damn, I bought into this format looking forward to own titles like Gladiator in high definitionAnd now we get this, an old transfer "freshed up" with DNR and EE looking worse than the HDTV broadcast version! You`d expect the studio to take care and do their best to present their flagship titles in the best way possible, but they did not botherdid not BOTHER! I am very dissappointed.

It hurts, but I will pass this one, it will be a rent at best

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
I knew my DVHS looked damn good despite measly 14 Mbit/s MPEG2. Oh, what could have been with 30 Mbit/s AVC! But no, we get this dreck instead. Thanks, I'll pass. I prefer my DVHS by far.

·
Registered
993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe /forum/post/17047197

The automated noise reduction software erased some of it! In shot 7 it also erased most of the flaming arrows.

That is really weird. Also look at the fireball in the trees on the right-hand side. There seems some strange blueish blob on it on the BD version!? Are you sure it's the same frame (sure looks like it)? If it is, something or someone did unacceptable damage to the picture.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack /forum/post/17047232

holy damn. where are the apologists now...?

I'm sure the self proclaimed "HD Guru" will be here defending it soon

Thanks again OP for saving me $$$s

·
Registered
6,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke007 /forum/post/17047282

Well, when i google translated that German review from Area HD the rewiever stated that there were big difference in detail in the extended scenes hence the theatrical, so that Uni disc seems to be cut from the same cloth, and that would mean even the UK is the same right

Yep but I rarely trust areadvd.de. Some slightly reliable German review sites are:

www.hd-reporter.de
www.blurayreviews.ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover2002 /forum/post/17047359

I'm sure the self proclaimed "HD Guru" will be here defending it soon

Thanks again OP for saving me $$$s

This forum has taught me a lot on DNR / EE.

Btw, there are many self proclaimed gurus out here who likes defending the Studios.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
New encode, same transfer/source, same issues/filtering. This goes for both the UK and German Universal Studios editions. Cancel your order while you can ;-)

(sorry for the double post)

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Those BD shots are pretty [email protected]#$ing awful. One shot will have massive EE halos and another shot will look like something out of Clay/Dark City. And then you have nasty scratch removal artifacts on top of that. Completely undefendable.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLion /forum/post/17047396

New encode, same transfer/source, same issues/filtering. This goes for both the UK and German Universal Studios editions. Cancel your order while you can ;-)

(sorry for the double post)

Thanks very much.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your order has been successfully cancelled. For your reference, here is a summary of your order:

You just cancelled order placed on Aug 2009.

____________________________________________________________ _________

1 of Gladiator (Limited Edition Steel Book) [Blu-ray] [2000]

By: Russell Crowe, Joaquin Phoenix

Sold by: Amazon's Jersey Merchant, Indigostarfish.com

21 - 40 of 2852 Posts