AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony KV36HS500 and have two problems.

Even though this is a flat screen and the glare is minimal most of the time it gets pretty bad during sunny days due to the placement of the TV and the living room windows. Moving the TV is not an option.

I did a search for glare filters and found a place that sells them for this model but can't find it anymore.

Has anyone ever bought a glare filter that large for this type of TV? And where?

The other problem occurs primarly when watching a WS movie. Whenever there is a scene that has bright white areas near the top or bottom of the scene white flair reflects from the backside of the outer glass. This can "fog" the picture in that area

Is there any way to eliminate this problem?

PS. I have run the AVIA dvd on the TV and the settings are pretty close to what they should be.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
The fogging you refer to is most likely caused by diffuse internal reflections inside the tube. Some tubes have features which help to suppress this, and improve the black retention. The big Sony tubes don't seem so good at this though, (despite their rep for good black levels). There may be some features in the service menu that can help, but I'm not quite sure what they would be.

Since I only use my TV to watch DVDs, one solution I use is lowering the gamma on the HTPC player/overlay (...when needed, because many recent DVDs already have very dark midtones for theater-style viewing to begin with), and watch the TV in lower ambient light. Making the midtones darker helps to keep the fogging a bit more under control. In order to see the picture well though after lowering gamma, you'd need better control over your ambient light. At the very least, try to positon your TV so there's no direct light hitting the screen.

In lieu of a gamma adjustment, you might try the Movie/Cinema mode on the TV or DVD player.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ADU
The fogging you refer to is most likely caused by diffuse internal reflections inside the tube.
I'm not sure if that's it. It might be. But it looks to me like there are two pieces of glass. The tube itself and an extra piece of glass in front of that. They might be both part of the tube. It's hard to tell without taking off the outer bezel. The flair is the reflection of the brighter (especially white) scenes bouncing off the back side of the outer glass.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
Hmm... FWIW, there's only one layer of glass, and it is the tube itself. It should be rather thick though. I have always assumed that the fogging was occuring inside the picture tube itself rather than within the glass. But I'll see if I can tell the difference. Thick dust on the surface of the tube might cause some diffusion of light. My TV also has an (easily scratched and scraped) antiglare coating which is probably not as optically pure as the glass itself which might also diffuse light a little. I don't think the 36HS500 has that though.

I think its probably more likely though that diffusion is occuring inside the tube itself randomly exciting nearby phosphors on the screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.