AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in a new panel 50" to 60" and the room its going to be in gets a ton of sun light. What panels are best for reducing glare?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I recently got a LG 47LH90 since it has one of the few semi-matte screens on the market. The picture is nice but the 240Hz/Trumotion is a worthless addition that shouldn't be a factor in a TV purchase. Glare is minimal in my room (7 windows + 3 pane glass door) but isn't perfect. I believe the non-LED LGs also have a semi-matte screen. The BB in my area still has older Sharp LC52D85Us left in stock with a true matte screen for a really good price. I'm sure it also has its issues but the picture quality in the store was good. I may return the LG, get the Sharp, and pocket the difference...

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
The new Sony 60" Panels are Matte (or some may consider them semi) and prevent glare even though when off you can see faint reflections because when they are off they are blacker than in the past more like a Z5100 and XBR9.

Virtually all Sharp Panels are Matte. 700U LED or 77U and the newer LED's with UV2A panels and Quad Pixel (RGBY) debut within the next month or two dependent on size your looking for - the 68" is due in May. Chris of Cleveland Plasma was at CES 2010 and witnessed this new panel and responded that it was matte when viewing it.

Samsung 630 series is semi matte I believe.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
as others have said you want an LCD with a matte or semi-matte screen

sony's normally have semi-matte screens

Sharps usually have it to as other said

certain samsung models like the B630 have matte screens but most are super glossy

Toshiba's often have matte screens

LG's often have them as well

·
Registered
477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsutton002 /forum/post/18255287

The BB in my area still has older Sharp LC52D85Us left in stock with a true matte screen for a really good price. I'm sure it also has its issues but the picture quality in the store was good. I may return the LG, get the Sharp, and pocket the difference...

I actually purchased the Sharp LC52D85U from BB last month, but the version I got did not have the true matte panel. Even though the store display and my brother-in-law with the same model had the very flat low-reflective matte screen, I opened the box to find more of a semi-gloss screen. Ended up returning because I had bought it specifically for the low-reflective screen. Otherwise probably would be a fine TV for those who don't need the super low gloss.

Consider this before you purchase, because there may have been a panel change at some point. I think perhaps some later models of the LC52D85Us may have gotten the screen that some of the newer models have - the new screen is more of a semi-gloss style of matte. Very few flat matte screens anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts