AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting very dark smoked glass to cover the front of my equipment racks (on either side of my projection screen). Does anyone have smoked glass doors on their equipment racks/cabinets? Can you still see the equipment lights? I want to minimize the lights on the front of the room and am wondering what else makes sense if the dark glass will not work. The wall unit is all wood (curtains are not an option).

Suggestions?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Hey, OI, I have smoke ('gray'; it also comes in 'bronze') glass doors on my stack, and they definitely reduce the light level, but you can still see them if you look. My stack is to the side, not on the front wall, so I can't really tell you how well they'll work for you. See pic links in 'my system' below (the doors are open in the pix).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Larry:

Your equipment rack has inspired mine, and I wanted to thank you for posting the great pictures. My set up will be almost exactly like yours when complete (what's that they say about imitation/flattery?). Can you tell me where you got the glass for your door? Or is it plexi? Did you have it custom cut or did you work around a pre-existing size? Thanks again for the guidance.

·
Registered
718 Posts
You mention that "curtains are out" so my suggestion may not work for you, however, what I am planning to do with mine is build an oak door frame and stretch GoM on the inside back. This will look similar to the grills for my speakers, also in my columns. To picture it, think of a screen door made of oak and GoM. I plan to use two layers of GoM. I have already tested a double layer and it nicely blocks out all the light but still permits the IR remote controls to work fine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am also building a rack similar to the one listed here, but I am unable to find the correct hardware for the glass doors.

I would like to use one piece of glass hinged and a magentic stopper on the other to hold the glass door closed.

Any thoughts on where to get the necessary hardware?

What type of costs should I expect for this little project?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Fatso, thanx fror the kudos. I got the glass, custom-sized to fit the opening, from Binswanger Glass. They did gorgeous 45º beveled edges; each bevel and the edge are the same width. I got tempered for extra strength, since they're so long for the width.

I got the hinges, like these , in black, and the 'push-push' magnetic latches, like these , also black, at Lowe's. I'm considering going to a pair of these and a pair of these top and bottom, because the push-push latches flex the glass a bit, and of course, the fingerprints are a minor problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for the links, everyone is always very helpful here.

Off to place an order for glass and hardware.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am actually going to build my "glass" door inside of a wooden frame so that the hinging and latching are simpler. Plus it will fit in a little better with the decor (WAF). I may just use somked plexi there. But I am still considering glass shelves instead of MDF for the rack itself. The problem I am running into is finding someone who can cut the offset into the shelves and bevel the front edge. Thanks to all for the links and advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.