AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(WIRED) -- One of the biggest obstacles to 3-D adoption in the home is the requirement for uncomfortable, eye-straining glasses.

Now there is an alternative, at least in the laptop department.

Today Toshiba introduced the world's first glasses-free 3-D notebook. The Qosmio F755 has an Intel Core i7 processor and NVIDA GeForce 540M graphics, as well as Harmon Kardon speakers, a Blu-ray drive and HDMI output. It can display content in either 2-D or 3-D.

To achieve a 3-D effect without glasses, the F755 uses an auto-stereoscopic display. This works by creating a double parallax image: Two images are projected simultaneously, and face-tracking technology (through the laptop's built-in webcam) customizes the image based on the viewer's position, delivering one image for the left eye, and one for the right.

This allows for a "broad viewing zone from which to view 3-D content," according to the press release. But this may also mean two people won't be able to watch the screen in 3-D at the same time.

In another effort to make 3-D more compelling to consumers, yesterday Panasonic, Sony and Samsung teamed up to announce their support of the "Full HD 3-D Glasses Initiative," which would mean one brand of glasses could be worn to view all of their 3-D TV models.

But so far, mobile devices, like the glasses-free 3-D Nintendo 3DS seem to be enjoying marginally more success than larger-displayed counterparts.

Although a glasses-free 3-D notebook may fare better than glasses-requiring models, stats from a March 2011 survey by research firm ABI Research still show consumers aren't overly excited by the technology.

Forty percent of respondents said they have no interest in a 3D-ready TV, and only 8% said they are considering a 3-D TV purchase within the next six months. Approximately 1.76% of the total flat-panel TV shipments in 2010 were 3-D capable (that's 3.5 million sets).

"Most 3-D HDTV purchases are being driven by other features, specifically screen size, price, display technology, refresh rate and internet connectivity," said Jason Blackwell, Practice Director of Digital Home for ABI Research.

"In addition, many of the current 3D-ready models have been discounted significantly and/or additional incentives have been offered including a free Blu-ray player, free glasses and even a free PlayStation 3. For the most part, consumers are not clamoring for 3-D-ready TVs and other 3-D devices."

And the same seems to be true for notebook computers and other mobile devices.

"In our March 2011 survey, only 28% of people listed 3-D capability as an important factor in their purchase decision for a new notebook computer. Processor speed and memory came in as the most important factors with 88 percent choosing each of those," Blackwell said.

As for smartphones, 58% of respondents said they had zero interest in a 3-D capable smartphone.

The Qosmio F755 can be yours August 16 for $1,700.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart
So what is the resolution when watching AS 3D? I haven't seen that mentioned in any of the PRs.
The display is 15"

From the cnet.com hands on review,

"While in 3D mode, the maximum resolution drops to 1,366x768 pixels..."

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Toshiba is talking about “Active Lens” technology and also a “double parallax image display” for their 3D display which is apparently using switchable lenticular arrays of lenses and LG is talking about “glasses-free parallax barrier” technology for their 3D monitor which is apparently a switchable parallax barrier (although we may as well have the same technology on both). The common thing here is the ability to switch on and off the used technology for providing the stereo 3D effect on demand and thus have a display work in both 2D and 3D mode, depending on what content the user wants to watch (two states – disabled, meaning fully transparent with both eyes seeing the same image and enabled, meaning that each eye sees different image). This however is nothing new as both these technologies have been used a lot by different products for offering autostereoscopic 3D displays for different devices. These solutions however offer only a single or just a few viewing positions that the user needs to be located at in order to be able to see the stereo 3D effect, so in order to overcome this limitation a way to know the exact position of the user is needed. The simple solution for achieving that goal is to add in a camera that tracks the user head movement and more specifically his eyes (not the movement of the eyes, but the eyes themselves in order to track the position of the face)…

Based on the current position of the user’s face the display needs to be able to dynamically readjust the stereo 3D image on the display in order to ensure the best stereo 3D experience for the user watching and to provide seamless transition over a wider viewing angle and not just a few viewing position. Unfortunately neither Toshiba, not LG Electronics give a more detailed description on what and how this adjustment based on the user position is being done, so we’ll have to wait for some more detailed reviews. I still haven’t been able to see the Toshiba Qosmio F750 or F755 live in order to be able to share some feedback, but from what I’ve been reading so far pretty much everyone is complaining that it is not working perfect. There seems to be some delay not in the face tracking, but in readjusting the 3D image displayed on the screen (the left/right pair) and also from seeing more crosstalk, if you’ve been able to personally see it in action you are welcome to share your feedback or any extra information you may have. The clear disadvantage of using this autostereoscopic 3D technology with face-tracking is that you can only have the display optimized for use with just one person as the camera will track only one face, something that may be OK for a 3D-capable laptop, but not as much for a 3D monitor.
http://3dvision-blog.com/

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
All I want to know is can I use the vertical interleave output of Stereoscopic Player and YouTube to display 3D on this thing.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Adams /forum/post/20815516

The display is 15"

From the cnet.com hands on review,

"While in 3D mode, the maximum resolution drops to 1,366x768 pixels..."

No, that is impossible. The 15.6" LCD has 1920x1080 pixels in 2D, which can not drop to 1366x768, but can only drop to an 'equivalent' of 1366x768, which is very different.

I have another question in that respect. Since the screen is passive-3D and uses a parallax-barrier, half the pixels (in 3D) are seen by the left eye, and the other half by the right eye. Therefore, from the approx. 2 mln pixels in 2D (1920x1080), only 1 mln is seen by each eye. I presume that, therefore, Toshiba says that in 3D the resolution is "EQUIVALENT" to 1366x768 (which is about 1 mln pixels); they are sort of correct in their statement.

Now, this is NOT the REAL resolution in 3D! When Toshiba uses every first pixel for one eye, they either used every second pixel 'vertically' for the other eye, OR every second pixel 'horizontally' for the other eye. Now, I would like to know if they split the vertical or the horizontal resolution! Or, refrased, is the REAL resolution in 3D 1920x540 (vertical split), or 960x1080 (horizontal split)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well my lovely wife handed me a Qosmio for my birthday, what a gal!

First kid on the block, glasses free 3d. I had just gotten Thor 3d poped it in

and saw a blurry nauseating totally unwathcable mess! Ok Thor wasn't the the best best 3d so Tangled was next, no it can't be, then Avatar completed my disappointment, I spent the next two days reasearching every possible setting,

No luck, I felt seasick! Called toshiba and I'm waiting for return info they promised to email in 1-2days.

·
Registered
386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Wood /forum/post/0

and saw a blurry nauseating totally unwathcable mess! Ok Thor wasn't the the best best 3d so Tangled was next, no it can't be, then Avatar completed my disappointment, I spent the next two days reasearching every possible setting,

No luck, I felt seasick! Called toshiba and I'm waiting for return info they promised to email in 1-2days.

That almost sounds like it was trying to display the 3d content in an unsupported format.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Wood /forum/post/20987416

Doesn''t this work using head tracking to determine the watchers position and display the correct 3D image based on position? I'm thinking maybe the head tracking was messed up, but guess you probably worked through that.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Wood /forum/post/21017461

The f755 3d 290 is not a cheap notebook, better check the facts!

I'm sorry, how much does the 2D version/equivalent cost?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.